How many fish can i have?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

camothor

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi Guys,

I am super new to fishkeeping as in am 5 days into cycling my first ever tank (slatwater).... and was just wondering if you could give me your opinions on if i can do this....

I want to get maybe
4 Ocellaris Clownfish
1 yellow tang
1 blue tang
2 shrimp
and maybe 2 other really small fish eg (2x green mandarine or 2x High finned red banded goby)
maybe 2 - 3 corals when i can afford it too...
Is this too many or is it ok? i'm still in the process of cycling my tank and was just trying to figure out what to get and things.

Thanks in advance....

Cam

p.s. ive got 15kgs of coral rock in the tank and 1kg of coral rock in the filter baskets

Last edited:
What size tank? dimensions? Tangs may be questionable.

Too many clowns IMO. I've very rarely seen more than 2 work.

Um this is the tank internal dimensions, thanks for all the help so far :)

Length - 120cm Width - 43cm Height - 68cm

So about a 90g tank. I think the 4ft. length might be okay for a Ctenochaetus sp. as a bare minimum, but majority of the tangs and surgeonfish won't tolerate the inadequate space and if it were me, I'd find another suitable fish instead of tangs. I would just stick with a pair of clownfish as more than likely they'll just pair off anyways and separate/bicker. If you must have multiple clowns then you may want to purchase more than 4 as in the wild there would be a dominate pair with several "minions" at their bidding, which could also backfire on you XD Everything else seems fine, but when you consider your fish stocking, realize that not all fish pertain to "pairs" and many do prefer shoals.

Would 2 x four stripped damsels
2 x ocileris
1 x yellow tang
be alright all in my 90G ?

Also another question can the black and orange Ocellaris breed together?

I would stay away from the stripped damsels, they get to be rather nasty little guys.

I don't know if an orange and a black O. Clown would pair up. My guess would be no because they look so different. Not sure though.

I have a 4 stripe damsel that I have had for 12 yrs now. They are pretty mean. I cant imagine two of them together. I`m pretty sure they would gang up on other fish.

Too many Clownfish, I would think. When they become sexually mature they have a tendency to eat each other, and their offspring. Also, as stated above, damsels are mean >:O Just be careful of your bioload, and possibly consider finding 2 of your Clownfish a new home.

Freddy, you might want to start another thread with your question. Might not get an answer in this thread since some folks would consider you a highjacker. ;)

Thanks for the heads-up austinsdad, I'm kinda new to the whole forum thing and lack the etiquette knowledge...I will move my question.

Back
Top Bottom