how much are these fishes worth?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vonskeezy28

Aquarium Advice Regular
my local fish shop said i could give them my fish for credit, since these two (was told on this site that theyre not compatible with reefs/corals) have to go because i want to do reef.

img_2876661_0_b63746487f2ec8210b8f8ba4a3913bc0.jpg

img_2876661_1_d2deb492c7ca533cb0a5948fcac6ecf0.jpg

Why weren't they compatible? They second one seem to like the rock

The second one is fine in a reef. It may eat small inverts but is fine otherwise. The angel has to go though. How big is it?

Look for $30-35 maybe? I'm pretty bad at pricing fish for store credit lol

ok. sounds good to me. haha just wanted to know how much before i get offered a price for them so i know i wont get lowballed. the lfs seems trustworthy though.

is there a thread on here about which fish is best for reef? (cant find one)

No checkout liveaquaria and go through their sw fish. Under the fish it will have it's stats and say whether it is reef safe or not.

What part of the Bay Area are you located in? Most LFS will credit around 30% in store credit and some will only take them back with no credit. There's a mom and pop store I frequent regularly they'll credit me 50% so I give them most of my business when possible. As stated earlier You've made the right choice! Skip the pet store for even more from LiveAquaria.com is a good site. If they say "reef compatible with caution" generally it will eat invertebrates. Good luck!

ok. sounds good to me. haha just wanted to know how much before i get offered a price for them so i know i wont get lowballed. the lfs seems trustworthy though.

is there a thread on here about which fish is best for reef? (cant find one)
To be fair, the local market dictates what a fish is worth. That Koran Angelfish, coming through a CA wholesaler, will be cheaper to the store than the same fish coming into a store in say, MD through an East Coast wholesaler. So you can't expect a universal answer for pricing. It just doesn't work that way. :nono: Availability, season, size, saleability all play a role in pricing.
The best you can do is ask around the different stores in your area as to what you can get for your fish from them whether it be in credit or cash. ( You will usually get more in store credit than in cash.) You'll know if you are being low balled if one store gives you a lot less than the others in the same area.

Hope this helps (y)

I have a suggestion as well, but may require patience. Say that angel fish goes for $50 at a local fish store and they tell you that they'll buy it from you/store credit for $15-20. That's how cheap they are. Very unreasonable and full of crap! Especially if you have a mature fish that is happy and heathy and you've put a lot of work and care into it. If you're not in a rush, put that fish up for sale on Craig's list for $35-40! People will come over and if they like what they see, they will buy it! But if you're in a desperate hurry to get rid of the fish, then selling it to a fish store is a quick way to make a little pocket change.

You have to remember that stores get fish at wholesale prices, so probably about half (or less) what they are selling them to you for (depending on where you are). I would say $30-35 store credit for an adult Koran is reasonable. They can turn around and sell it for $60-90. The distributers are getting them as Adults for $8-12.

I agree with the Craigslist idea. You should be able to get more, you just have to deal with all the CL flakes that say they are coming and never show.

That Hawk is probably reef compatible, but they can be aggressive. Something to consider depending on what else you plan to get.

What part of the Bay Area are you located in? Most LFS will credit around 30% in store credit and some will only take them back with no credit. There's a mom and pop store I frequent regularly they'll credit me 50% so I give them most of my business when possible. As stated earlier You've made the right choice! Skip the pet store for even more from LiveAquaria.com is a good site. If they say "reef compatible with caution" generally it will eat invertebrates. Good luck!

hey. i am from benicia. which store are you talking about? always nice to check out different lfs..

Back
Top Bottom