Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-23-2004, 12:11 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

How much for this live rock?

I'm thinking about buying this live rock. How much do people think it is worth? The guy isn't sure and I don't want to completely insult him if I lowball him too much. It's from a 4 year old 75G setup. He thought it was about 80+ pounds.

Please comment on what you think about it's quality too, since I've never purchased LR before.

Old 03-23-2004, 12:35 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via Yahoo to Wally
Have you any idea what he wants for it? I would guess not more that you can purchase it for at your lfs.

The more I learn the less I know
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 01:20 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to jackdp
My LFS charges about $6/lb you can find LR online sometimes as cheap as $3/lb..given that I would say the street value of that 80lbs is somewhere $240-$400
Old 03-23-2004, 09:04 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

I'd pay no more than about 4-5 per lb.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 10:18 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Quote:
Originally Posted by reefrunner69
I'd pay no more than about 4-5 per lb.
I was going to say $4/lb. Since you can get rock that looks about like that online for around $3/lb.

$5/lb if your really feeling generious. Dont go for anything higher than that. The LFS prices for rock is highway robbery. Should be illegal to sell something for 1000% profit.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 10:29 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I got some peices that look pretty similar in maturity.I paid $4 a lb from a guy.I'd tell him you'll give him 4 for 50lbs and if he wants to sell the rest you want a price break
Old 03-23-2004, 10:31 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

What do you think about the quality of it? I am new to liverock.
Old 03-23-2004, 10:36 AM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

I'd say it's fair, the pic is a little over exposed, so it's hard to tell the color. It's basically a coraline encrusted rock with some macro algae. As will happen in an aquarium for 4 years, most of the hitchiker corals and "life" is gone, this is to be expected, but does not ,imo, increase the value as much as it detracts from it. I have had my aquacultured LR in my tank for almost 2 years and still have alot of the hitchiking corals and worms etc...all over the rock as well as many corals I've added encrusted to the rock. Personally I think you can do better and be happier with some aquacultured rock from LR.com.

Old 03-23-2004, 09:07 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Wow...ya'll are much more generous than we are down here. I have bought and sold about 500lbs of LR outside of the LFS market. Your generally looking at 2-3.00 per pound for cured rock.

Squishy

175gallon reef

5,100 gal pond

Fish are people too!
SquishyFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 12:18 AM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

LOL, you would not even think to insult me by offering me 3 bucks a lb for my LR How much I give depends on what's on it. I don't have a piece in my tank that is not fully encrusted with lots of corals, heck some are bound together by a couple different corals.

Tags
live, live rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com