Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-10-2013, 03:03 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

How much rock is too much rock?

I have a 40 gallon tank and already bought 50 lbs of dry rock... I want to buy some live rock from my LFS to help get some life into the tank in hope,it spreads... How much live rock should I buy to add to my already 50lbs of dry?

Old 02-10-2013, 03:07 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I love having lots of live rock, lol, so if you're asking my OPINION I say keep it coming until you have no room for anything else, break it all apart, put it in the bottom and add some more.

In honesty, though, just make sure your tank is balanced and that your fish are free to move about....

Old 02-10-2013, 03:25 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Just be sure to have enough (variable) flow in your tank. The more rock you have, the more likely you'll have dead spots within the rock where old food/detritus will collect, creating algae/nitrate hot spots.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:04 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

I just bought a Hydor 750 power head and have a basic filter on the tank for flow as well... Hopefully will find a good arrangement...

Also am I suppose to clean both the dry rock and live rock when I get it before I put it in my tank?
Old 02-10-2013, 04:21 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I usually treat mine before introduction, but I already established my aquariums. Are you fish in cycling or using the shrimp/ ammonia cycling process?
Old 02-10-2013, 06:21 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Tank is still empty... Waiting for sand/rock to arrive from reefrocks.net then will start system and salinity of water

I won't be adding fish for well over a month until, everything is ok, and will be starting with clown fish (2)
Old 02-10-2013, 07:12 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just consider that the more rock you put in the less room to swim and water that will be in the tank which will have to be taken into account when you get your fish
Old 02-10-2013, 07:53 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody390 View Post
Just consider that the more rock you put in the less room to swim and water that will be in the tank which will have to be taken into account when you get your fish
Agreed- check out the different types of rock out there, take into consideration the porousness and culturing of your rock as well. You sound like you have done some research on the timeline. I had the best success with using the shrimp method, but it took me a while. I have also heard that the ammonia method works as effectively but it quicker- but I have not used that method.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:07 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

What is shrimp and/or ammonia method?
Old 02-11-2013, 10:00 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlabonte View Post
What is shrimp and/or ammonia method?
Go to your local grocer and pick up a raw (uncooked) shrimp from the seafood counter, place it in a mesh bag, and drop it in your tank (leave the lights off)........ as the shrimp rots, it will generate ammonia to begin your cycle. Test every couple/few days and you will see your ammonia rise, then nitrites will begin to appear, then nitrates. Once the ammonia and nitrites drop back to zero, and your nitrates climb, you are cycled. Pull the shrimp, do a large (or complete) water change, then add fish...... If you plan on adding corals, you will want to do a few very large water changes to get the nitrates as low as possible.

Tags
rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com