How much sand for a 2.5" sandbed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flaxon-Waxon

Aquarium Advice Addict
I currently have about 1.5" sandbed in my 55 gallon, and is 60 lbs total. I'm upgrading to a 75 gallon and would like to up it to about 2.5-3"... How many more pounds of sand do you think I'll need? I was thinking another 60 lbs should be good...?

60 pounds should double your sand bed to about 3"
Just remember that's 120lbs of sand and factor in your rock (should be about a pound per gallon)=75
And saltwater is about 8 1/2lbs a gallon
Plus equipment
That's a lot of lbs your stand should be strong enough to support all that weight
And your tank (glass or acrylic) ?I always was worried that my glass 29g would implode from the pressure.
But I guess that's why they have engineers

Well the weight of the sand applies downward, not outward.. So the tank wouldn't blow out, te stand would collapse if anything lol

And it's a wood stand, not that cheesy particle board. I was even considering reinforcing it with some 2x4's... But it's not a self built tank, so I can imagine it was built with specs in mind

Oh trust me I've thought about it before lol... But its a stand made for 75 gallons so I'll trust it
Lol

Thanks Mike! I have a thread goin for the upgrade to 75... Check it out if ya can!

Back
Top Bottom