How to catch these *&$%@ Blue Devils??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish4brains

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 150 reef that is running pretty good OTHER than, I have a pair of blue devils that raise holy heck with just about everyone in there. They are true harassers. I have a minnow trap from wal-mart, which was a pretty good deal - around 8 bucks and plastic coated so nice in the saltwater. I have tried baiting with shrimp to no avail. any idea on irresistible delicacies to lure them?? The LFS will take them off my hands once caught, but i am at a loss. Netting is not an option as I have 330+ lbs of LR. LFS guy said if all else fails try fishing for them with tiny hooks, but i really don't wanna go that route. PLEASE HELP!!

Yeah... i read that article right after i posted this and saw someone alse with the same problem... I'm thinkin I might go to the store tonight and get a raw clam, shrimp, an oyster and a scallop. Maybe a buffet will lure them.....

As bad as it sounds sometimes the hook idea is the only way. I did it once and had great success. Tiny tiny hook with a piece of krill on the very tip. Make sure to bend the barb back. The fish i caught was put into another tank and continued its life with no visible ill effects.

SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
Went to the local seafood counter to set out the buffet.... 2 scallops, a shrimp and some tempting squid tentacles (as Bart Simpson says "extra tentacles, please")... welll the tentacles proved too irresistible i guess. After sampling them through the wire of the minnow trap, they just had to go in for more. The prisoners have been safely transported and remanded to the local jail with no ill effects noted. Thanks to everyone who helped....

Glad to hear it worked out. I built a fish trap a while ago when I was having trouble catching one of my dwarf angels with all my rock. Just add some food and they are bound to go in there for a snack.

I never even thought about getting a minow trap when I had to get my damsels out. I ended up taking everything out of the tank to get them. Of course I wanted to move my tank so it had dual results but still that would have been a lot easier!

Glad to hear you were successful.
DrogaonForce said:
then feed them to your anemones(if you have them)
Nah. You can't change a tigers stripes. They are just doing what damsels do in order to survive. It's the aquarist responsibility to chose animals that fit his/her aquarium :wink:

Back
Top Bottom