how to check if live rock is cured?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

packfan2204

Aquarium Advice Activist
i just recently bought a few more lbs. of live rock from the LFS, which has recently just finished the curing process. Is it true that to tell the difference between cured and uncured is the smell, because the owner of the store did spend a great deal of time with me picking out the rock, and had me smell each piece i was interested in, and i could tell a difference between the cured and uncured. Just checking to make sure this is correct.

First off, welcome to AA! I would think to some extent smell might work, but I would never trust that alone. Test for amonia and nitrite, it will cycle just like just like a new tank w/ amonia spiking then nitrite spiking as amonia goes down them nitrite dropping to zero when it's fully cured and ready for the display tank. If it was cured at your LFS and you just brought it right home it should be fine. Most people experience die off and have to cure LR when they get it mail order.

HTH

Back
Top Bottom