how to feed a sea anemone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

orb4me

Aquarium Advice Newbie
The poor thing is doing fine much to my surprise today. I put him on a rock, but he seems to be preferring sand.

How do I get food to him without another fish coming along and grabbing it?

If I thaw out shrimp, it will be all over the tank, or am I suppose to buy some actual shrimp/fresh or frozen?

Im so far over my head with this, and I knew better:(

I did some reading on this little guy and come to find out a white anemone is not a healthy anemone. sigh...............

any advise would really be welcomed at this point.:confused:

What type of lighting do you have?

I've got a BTA that I have yet to feed. There are alot of different opinions on this topic but I'm going with Melosu and Ziggy who both say no need to target feed. As long as you have good lighting you can get away with just letting him grab food from the water column. Just like he does in nature.

This morning, I fed the tank mysis and I DEF saw the BTA catch some. Like 2 hours later he shrunk up and expelled something out of his mouth. so, I think he ate :) Now, almost 3 hours later, he finally reopened completely.

Others, however, target feed these guys with Silversides.

If you had adequate lighting he will brown up. What type lighting do you have? Do you have a clown in the tank? If so he will carry food over to the anenome. I never fed mine as it got all it needed from the lighting, water column and what little bit the clowns brought to it. My clowns would not host with the BTA so they did not bring much to it.

Yes, that's what I thought too... I was beginning to wonder if he has any fish that can feed the anemone, if not, you have to use like a filter feeder or something to aim it at the anemone... and how long has your tank been established too plays an important role.

I feed mine silversides. I just stick a half of one (or so) onto their tentacles. If they cling and suck them up, then fine. If they let them drop, then the crabs get a bonus. My carpet takes everything he can get. My BTA (now pitched due to fight with powerhead) would only feed once in a while. Both have always appeared healthy.

Back
Top Bottom