how to feed frozen mysis?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blazeyreef

Aquarium Advice Addict
ok how do you feed frozen mysis? cause I got my first pack today and I put it in the microwave and put on defrost for like 10 seconds, then 7 seconds, then 10 more seconds, and I took it out for the last time and it still looked....gross, my frozen brine shrimp thaw's in like 10 seconds so how do I feed it????????

lol too funny! No micro needed. You can use a small cup and break off whatever amount of mysis you desire and fill cup with water. It'll take roughly 1 min to thaw, if using cold water, a good sized nugget. You could also use a net and let water run over it, but I find that degrades quality...depends on urgency.

I agree no need to microwave just put it in room temp water and it will thaw out in minutes.

It takes me about 15mns at room temp to thaw out completely, but I also try to place the plate thats holding the food next to the vent so it thaws quicker. I used the microwave the first time, but it just got too messy too fast.

I use med cups with lids on it and drop into the tank to float around and thaw add some tank water to help it ... it is funny to watch the fish chase it ... what is not used goes into the the fridge for later use (keep only 24-48 hours after thawing) I use the other portion on the 7 gallon so it is not often that I have left overs... Thawing it in the microwave cooks it and changes the vitimin make up , same with hot water...

I thaw mine by running RO/DI water over it and then rinse it well. I then soak it in sme garlic extreme, Selcon and vita-chem.

lando said:
I thaw mine by running RO/DI water over it and then rinse it well. I then soak it in sme garlic extreme, Selcon and vita-chem.
Yep, that's what I do, except the RO/DI water.
Did you thaw out the whole bag?

I put my frozen food into a cup of tank water and then just return the water with the thawed out food. Any reason that I shouldn't do it this way? Seems to be pretty easy/

well it shouldnt be done because it can fuel algae , and raise nitrAtes and phosphates. I use the juice so that it triggers the corals tenicals ....

i used to premix my shrimp with tank water too , like Charlie.
it dawned on me that maybe i'm adding to a NITRATE problem ????
i was going to post that ques.
after giving it some thought, i figured it WAS probly causing my TRATES to increase !!!
now i thaw in tank water, rinse and feed -- dry so to speak !!!
i dono -- yes or no !!!!

" living on the edge " oldfishead !!!!!

Back
Top Bottom