Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-16-2004, 10:30 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hi Maniz,

Just wanted to add some personal experiences to this thread since you are looking to run a tank very similar to one of my current tanks. This, of course, is in no way meant to detract from some of the excellent advice already posted here.

I have a 125 gallon FO tank that has been running very sucessfully for almost 4 years. No LR, just fish. I had one problem with it when we had a 20 hour black out this past summer (lost 2 hennis, a sailfin, and a harlequin tusk - 4 others managed to survive). Currently the tank is stocked with a Lion, Naso Tang, Sailfin Tang, Maroon Clown, Hifin Snapper, majestic angle. The fish in this tank are mighty happy - always out in the open, always full colors, always looking for food For most of the last 4 years the tank only used a $65 Rainbow Lifegard Fluidized Bed filter. I did a tremendous amount of research on the fluidized bed approach (even consulted with marine biologists at several local public aquariums including New York Aquarium and Norwalk Aquarium). I had to do this research because the LFS owners were telling me I neeeded BioBalls and trickle and that the FB filter would not be adequate. I took the risk and I have been surprised - the FB300 is an amazing product. I have since added 3 OceanClear canisters for backup and to get rid of my Sump (was DIY sump and a big pain in the neck). The FB300 is still running. It uses a simple rio600 pump and the only thing I dislike about it is that it can be a little tricky to start. It provides unparralled Biological filteration if you want a truely FO tank.

So Bottom line - pleanty of decorative coral to provide territory and hiding, FB filter for Biologic filteration, a UV for parasite/algae control and a micron bag for mechnical filteration and this tank was good to go for about 3 years. Really simple, very effective. BTW My LFS added an FB300 to one of his problem strings of tanks cuz he was so surprised with my experiences. He's very happy he did, despite his initial stuborness against their use.

Well, if your curious about any concerns or specifics about this approach, please let me know, otherwise - good luck.

Again - only my experience with a FO tank.

Tom

Old 01-16-2004, 11:36 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hi Tom, thanks for your advise, sorry for the lost of fish due to black out, our local news do report during that time too. BTW I had already started my second FOWLR tank. I have heard of many advise saying FO tank need wet/dry filter or big bio filter sitting out of the tank, and fish may nip at one another etc, I'm really afraid of all these stuff happening to my fishes, because I had experience having ich parasite wipe out all my fishes, one died after another, its really terrible, I don't want to repeat the same mistake again, last time thinking of starting a FO tank is because the fishes won't hide and swim freely around the tank ( which I really hope to see that ) and I can cure them from parasite without having worried about the copper being harmful to my LR, corals and invertebrates, and no need many many powerhead to blow on the LR. But after doing my research, I find out that its really easier to maintain with LR, and copper base medication is actually harmful to nitrifying bacteria, if they are dead, my nitrogen cycle would be ruined, so even with FO tank, I cannot use copper base medication either. So now I'm trying hard to prevent prevent and prevent parasite.

Old 01-16-2004, 12:45 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hi Mansiz,

Agreed - LR is a very good option. Only point I wanted you to be aware of is that FO is easy to do and can be very healthy and at low cost. Also, I have yet to need copper treatment. But I did have some trouble at the begining, but this had more to do with stablization of various water chemistry properties. As for the fish nipping - this has occurred in my tank a few times but I have recently come to realize that it is almost always due to introduction and after everyone gets comfortable it stops. (had a recent prblem with this but been ok for the last few days).

Anyway - wish you luck either way. Also - I work for a company which has a lagre office in Singapore, in fact I am speaking with folks there all the time.

Ciao.

Tom
Old 01-16-2004, 12:46 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

I've seen tanks with powder blue tangs, yellow tangs, hippo tangs, achillies tangs, golden rim tangs, naso tangs, and unicorn tangs and no live rock. Some of the fish are over four years old. I've got a friend with a 700 gallon tank and it has no live rock either and he has two eel blennies, a golden lined goby, a purple tang and a hippo tang, a handful of osellaris clowns, a blue faced angel, a blue masked angel, a tassel file, a blue majestic angel, and some canary blenny. He doesn't have an ounce of live rock and we changed the gravel in his tank from sand to aragonite six months ago. His tank is healthy. I can ask him if there is any extra care involved but at first glance it seems pretty standard. Wet/dry, protien skimmer, RO/DI water for water changes.
Old 01-16-2004, 01:13 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Agree with Xenos - FO tanks can be very rewarding, easy to keep, very healthy and beautiful in appearance.

Many of my fish are so content in their FO tank that they will eat right from my hands. In fact I have had a good time playing with my naso by trailing a peice of seaweed around the surface of the tank while he chases it down - this is truely comical as at times I'd swear he's stopping and looking at me thinking - "Give me a Break - hold that thing still!"

And as I mentioned earlier - all I had on this tank for several years was a Fluidized bed filter, a UV and a 50 Micron Bag used for mechnical filtering.

What could be easier

Tom

Tags
maintain, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com