Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-23-2003, 03:39 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

How to maintain a FO tank.

Hi everyone, hmm I would like to ask whether how do i maintain a fish only tank ( only with LS, without LR, corals, etc ).? What fish can I keep in this way? The LFS owner told me its not advisable to keep marine fish without LR. But I really wish my tank to be simple, Just sand and fishes and nothing else.

Old 12-23-2003, 04:18 AM   #2
cj10488

My personal opinion if you want to keep it simple the LR would be the easiest.. It provides your benificial bacteria and well as does your filtering for you.. If you looking money wise and are determined not to use LR then you are going to need some sort of biological filter.. My personal opinion would be a wet/dry filter.. It would provide a decent bacteria bed and could be converted in the future to be a sump when/if you decided to add LR/Corals...

Quote:
What fish can I keep in this way
I would say that as long as you had room for hiding and such you should be able to keep just about anything as long as they did not feed from the LR.. A few suggestions without taking tank size into consideration would be the common puffers, Lionfish, Triggers, Eels, clownfish, tangs, butterfly fish, Ect.. there is a wide assortment but it would all depend on if you wanted agressive fish, community fish ect...

Quote:
The LFS owner told me its not advisable to keep marine fish without LR
It would be ok and is a pretty common setup among beginners however it is Much easier to maintain a tank when your LR is doing 99.9% of the filtering of all the bad wastes.. There are many ppl out there that are doing FOWLR tanks and have no corals at all.. The have a good basis for when/if they wanted to add corals later down the road.. Believe me you may not want corals now but there are many out there that will be extremely tempting...

HTH,
James
Old 12-23-2003, 08:42 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hmm James, I would like to ask you whether how does a wet/dry filter look like? Will the fish survive without the presence of LR? Actually I don't dislike LR because of its price, but because I need to create currents to blow it to prevent it from rotting off. And if there is presence of ich, can I treat my fish without taking out the LR?
Old 12-23-2003, 09:52 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
The fish will survive yes. What do you intend to use for cover? I mean are you talking a basicly empty tank with no hiding places? no place for the fish to get out of the open water?

Your gonna need currents no mater what. A stagnent saltwater tank is not going to be healthy for the fish. If you treat your tank with copper with live sand thats just as bad as treating a tank full of live rock with copper.

Look thru the gallery at the Saltwater member setups category and you should see plenty of photos of wet/dry filters.

Are you intending on having a skimmer? What have you been thinking as far as your water change schedule? What size tank and what fish specificly are you looking at. Some fish will be overly stressed with out the ability to hide.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2003, 01:30 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hi fishfreek, I mean I will have currrents at the top, but not all over the tank as LR needs, because I use to have LR last time, but on the side where there is no current, the LR have some white mold on it, looks like spider web, I have to brush it every time to remove it. My LFS owner told me that she is not sure whether the fish will survive this way, she said that for a certain time the fish is able to cope, but not for long, is that true? And she said yellow tangs, regal tangs etc 100% cannot survive, is this true too? Ya i do have a protein skimmer. Hmm can you name me some fish which is suitable for this kind of FO tank? No matter what the tank size is, I would adjust to it, if the fish is too large then I won't buy it. And one last question, if there is ich on fishes or in the tank water, can I treat them without removing the LR?
Old 12-27-2003, 03:14 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I don't know why your LFS owner said that. I've kept FO for the last 25 years with a degree of success. I had my ups and downs with fish over the years. I remember back in the late 80's, most fish that came out of the Philipines were doomed due to cyanide poisoning but I've also kept a Emperator and Blue Face Angel together for 11 years in a FO tank.
Old 12-27-2003, 01:26 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to astride13
I think your LFS meant that Regal Tangs need rock to hide in. Most fish need a secure place to hide when they are frieghtened. It is very stressful for most fish to not have a hiding place. Also, most fish prefer/need waterflow to be healthy.
Old 12-29-2003, 10:37 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to XXFirefighter Send a message via Yahoo to XXFirefighter
My buddy has a tank with live sand and a few pounds of live rock and a ton of lava rock. He's got 2 powerheads and a Emporer 400 filter. Tanks is GREAT. Snails, hermits and some blue Chromis ! Tanks THRIVES !

I am going to do the same to my 55 gallon.
Emperer 400 1 powerheads and sand and some live rock..
Old 12-31-2003, 05:53 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

in my 75gl tank is a Vulvul 404 with live rock going to be ok? i am going to add more live rock soon...thanks
Old 01-15-2004, 11:43 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via AIM to immokalee98
Fish Only

How big of a tank do you have both of the angels in? I have a reef tank but I'm considering selling all of my corals and inverts and getting some of the cool fish that I want.

Thanks,
Neil

Tags
maintain, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com