Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-09-2011, 10:11 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

I am only going to assume that setting up a new tank is going to mostly be a big argument due to the fact that everyone has had success using different strategy as far as I understand the use of a protein skimmer is to remove dissolved solids basically fish poo. Without one, more water changes will be required. I do agree u will require the main filter right away.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium

Old 03-09-2011, 11:17 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm not arguing at all, I am just pointing out what the absolute must have items are, and what the "optimal" items would be.

Old 03-10-2011, 12:49 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

I apologize did not mean to insinuate that u were arguing I meant in general that there was no truly right way or wrong to set up a tank since so many ways have been tried and worked. Merely passing along what I know so that an informed decision can be made. Combined knowledge will allow a better tank be made. Well as long as its not misinformed knowledge I guess.

Sent from my HTC EVO SHIFT using Aquarium
Old 03-10-2011, 04:19 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trusty_one View Post
The lighting will depend on type of tank I have a coralife with one actinic bulb and one 10000 k bulb my only regret is that it does not have 2 cords the actinic would simulate moonlight for nighttime viewing which I could put on 2 timers but it works for now. But long story short either reef capable or not. 2 heaters would be more for a redundancy in case one fails since there are heaters capable of heating 35 gallons. You did say u were trying to keep costs down. I just put in a thermometer so I can see if the heater is heating. Not any kinda rock it has to be live rock. But u can get cured and cultured live rock. Cure is dried ocean rock and cultured has been sitting in a tank and should be ready to go. Cured is usually cheaper my pet store sells either for the same price. Starting a new tank u can use either cultured just gets stuff going faster I started with all cultured. A protein skimmer is needed for a saltwater tank. Salt I guess is preference I use oceanic because that's what my pet store carries if yours carries coralife then that's what's available.
Thanks for the reply.

I'm surprised that your store sells both kinds of rock for the same price and now that I have some idea of what I'm talking about I will go into my local store and get some answers.

Michael
Old 03-10-2011, 04:27 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purevil21 View Post
Sorry it took me so long to get back with you. You are pretty much on, you will need the filter when you start the tank though, it has to be running during your cycle. I would get 5 more pounds of rock atleast, it does not all have to be cured. Base rock is fine and will culture. If you decide to add live rock after you have cycled then it will need to be cured to prevent spikes. You don't have to have a skimmer if you are only keeping fish and rock, it would be preferred but not a must. I didn't have one on my first tank.
Sorry it took me so long to get back with you.

Hey, you're doing me a favor

You are pretty much on, you will need the filter when you start the tank though, it has to be running during your cycle. I would get 5 more pounds of rock atleast, it does not all have to be cured. Base rock is fine and will culture.

I'll see how much my local store charges and pick up a filter along with the other stuff.

If you decide to add live rock after you have cycled then it will need to be cured to prevent spikes.

Gotcha!

I will come back when the process has started and will post what's happening, and then move onto fish.

Michael
Old 03-10-2011, 07:50 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

Yeah my pet store is awesome doesn't matter base cultured cured all 3 bucks a lb. Well for me its 2 bucks. I am the only only one within 90 miles than can put holes in glass

Sent from my HTC EVO SHIFT using Aquarium
Old 03-10-2011, 09:15 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sounds like your on the right track, post some pictures of the setup and update us on your water parameters. Hopefully your cycle won't take too long.

Tags
5 gallon, lights, living rock, new aquarium, sand, set up

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com