Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-02-2008, 10:02 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via Yahoo to tdwhite03
How to sex clown fish

Is there a way to sex clown fish? I have two of them and am not sure if they are a mated pair or just good buddies as they are never more than a few inches apart. (This is bad I know, but I dont know which clowns they are other than to say they are the Nemo ones).

Old 12-02-2008, 10:13 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to Tank2379 Send a message via Yahoo to Tank2379
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdwhite03 View Post
Is there a way to sex clown fish? I have two of them and am not sure if they are a mated pair or just good buddies as they are never more than a few inches apart. (This is bad I know, but I dont know which clowns they are other than to say they are the Nemo ones).
Well they only way to tell them apart male and female. Basically the Female would be the bigger of the two and the male would be smaller or vice versa... They can be either male or female depending who is the biggest.

Tank2379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 10:16 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to HoCkEyGmC
all clowns start out as males, once they find a mate, the larger of the 2 will become a female and thats that. the female often harasses the male for a while before they actually mate.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:37 PM   #4

Thanks to both of you! I have now learned something new today.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:46 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Is this weird? I have had a pair of reg. clowns (not true percs) and a pair of black/white clowns for 5 or 6 months with no problems. The female clown is the boss of the tank but never a bully. Last week one of the black/white started being a big bully with a capital Bto the other black/white. I took him out after I notcied he had some damage.
Now the reg. female clown in picking on the one black/white left. She will let it out of the corner to eat but that's all. Same behavior. No phyical damage so far. Is this a girl thing?
Old 12-02-2008, 10:53 PM   #6

I only have the two so I have not seen any of this activity with my two clowns
Old 12-02-2008, 11:02 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to Tank2379 Send a message via Yahoo to Tank2379
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Water? View Post
Is this weird? I have had a pair of reg. clowns (not true percs) and a pair of black/white clowns for 5 or 6 months with no problems. The female clown is the boss of the tank but never a bully. Last week one of the black/white started being a big bully with a capital Bto the other black/white. I took him out after I notcied he had some damage.
Now the reg. female clown in picking on the one black/white left. She will let it out of the corner to eat but that's all. Same behavior. No phyical damage so far. Is this a girl thing?

You say you have 2 reg. Clowns meaning False Perce and to 2 Black and White clowns? In the same tank? If so you might have a Race issue with different species of clowns 2 false percs can't be in the same tank as 2 black and white clown they might be ok as Juveniles but once they start getting older they will fight and pick on each other. Unless you have a very long or large tank for them to co-exist for one another.. I would remove either or which ever two you like to stop the harrassment.
Tank2379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 11:15 PM   #8
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Liveaquaria says this "
Although there are no external characteristics to differentiate male and female, all clownfish are sexually immature when hatched. Meaning that the fry do not have a pre-determined sex, and develop into males and females depending on the hierarchy of the school. A pair will lay eggs along the base of the host anemone, using it to protect the eggs. The eggs normally appear orange in color. Without proper preparation, rearing in the average aquarium is nearly impossible. "

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 11:29 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have a 140 gal. I thought that was one of the good reasons to have false perc. and not the true prec.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:54 AM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Mike beat me to it. They are unsexed until the conditions are met. If you have a single clown that never was with another, it will remain unsexed. If you add another, typically the larger of the two will become dominant and turn into a female and the smaller will change to a male.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clown, clown fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com