Huge algae problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What Mike ment is that you may not need or get a cycle if you take all the rock from your already cycled tank and put it into your larger one. If you add more rock then you might see a small cycle as the bacteria plays catchup. Any of the above will get you started on the new tank. As always...test...test and retest to be sure your readings are stable before adding fish and or corals.
TC

Thanks for that. So I guess the best cause of action would be to seed the filter media for the new tank for a couple of weeks in the old tank, then move all current LR across with my current livestock (and all new sand, or should I put a couple of cups of my current sand in the new tank with the new sand)? Then slowly introduce the new LR maybe 5kgs at a time (15kg total)?

Thanks for all the help.

I'd add all the rock at once and not use the old sand (or no more than maybe a cupful if you want to try and move some of the sand critters; you won't need the old sand for filtration). If you are moving from one tank to another you should not see any cycle at all. Your bioload will stay the same so no worries there. If you are adding 'new' rock from other than your tank you may see a cycle if there is any die-off on the new rock from moving it/shipping it/however you get it delivered to you.

Your just switching vessels.

Thanks guys, I'll add all the new LR and watch for die-off over 1-2 weeks, then will move everything across from the old tank (old LR/livestock/cup of sand), and still keep an eye on things. Will also seed filter sponges in the old tank over the 1-2 weeks...

Mark, if you have new sand in the "new tank", then I would add that cup of old sand when you add the new LR to the new tank. That would help the new sand to become live sand that much faster and you gat all the cycle done at the same time..
TC

Mark, if you have new sand in the "new tank", then I would add that cup of old sand when you add the new LR to the new tank. That would help the new sand to become live sand that much faster and you gat all the cycle done at the same time..
TC

Thanks for that, will do! :)

Back
Top Bottom