Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-29-2011, 12:11 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

huma huma

well i bought a huma huma and it's about 3 inches long and what a appetite.he has nipped at one of my smaller clowns and tore up my yellow goby in less than a day.i looked at the compatibility chart and every thing is caution.i hope i'll be alright with a yellow tang and flamming angle.i only have four fish in a 75 gal.i don't want a bunch of killer fish in my tank but i wish i could find something to put this trigger in his place.any suggestions

Old 10-29-2011, 12:31 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwint View Post
well i bought a huma huma and it's about 3 inches long and what a appetite.he has nipped at one of my smaller clowns and tore up my yellow goby in less than a day.i looked at the compatibility chart and every thing is caution.i hope i'll be alright with a yellow tang and flamming angle.i only have four fish in a 75 gal.i don't want a bunch of killer fish in my tank but i wish i could find something to put this trigger in his place.any suggestions
A trip back to the LFS....seriously..
Sounds like you got mine actually (where do you live JK),,but really,,mine had to go..Fish like that usually don't change,,he wants to be the boss and is set that way..Plus a 75 is too small for a 3 inch trigger(any trigg IMHO)

FTMMWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 12:40 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

i think your right.i have never had any fish including a velvet damsel,devil damsel or yellow tail damsel bother my clowns.he's a bully.everything got a differant personality i guess i got a ---hole fish
Old 11-02-2011, 08:23 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hes just programmed like that. The yellow tang will need a 125.... srry, but they swim alot. Many people make mistakes with this and it results in death..... u could get a kole tang though!
Old 11-03-2011, 11:46 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by crister13 View Post
Hes just programmed like that. The yellow tang will need a 125.... srry, but they swim alot. Many people make mistakes with this and it results in death..... u could get a kole tang though!
A yellow tang does not NEED a 125G. A member of the naso family or larger tangs yes. Im assuming that the tang is not near the full 8" that it will reaching the wild. Yellow tangs are not fast growers either, I've owned several. Don't tell people that need larger tank sizes when all they will do fine a smaller tank that is more affordable. If we truly cared about the well being of fish we wouldn't put them in glass cages to live out their lives.
Old 11-04-2011, 05:51 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

he went back to the store never again for the triggers
Old 11-04-2011, 05:57 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Um, ErollP, most on this site will agree that they definitely SHOULD be in 125s, ya they may survive, but for the well being of the fish, a 125 would definitly do better. FYI, members of the naso family need FAR greater tank sizes than 125s, most grow over 1.5 feet which is the width of a 125, and they never stopped swimming. I also own a yellow tang and wouldnt put an adult in anything less than a 125. Ive also owned a naso (mistake on buying it) and I would suggest a 300g tank for them. Others say over 1000, so im pretty sure none would do well in a 125. dwint, good decision, and good luck!!!!! If you wanted a more peaceful trig (if u got a 125) then i would go with the niger. They are wonderful fish with great personalities.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:40 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Old 11-04-2011, 06:43 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just want to say my opinion on yellow tangs, I have one in a 75g tank, it's doing well. Maximum size in the wild is about 8", in captivity it's much lower. This is the only site I've seen that says 125g tank minimum for one. Everyone else says 75g.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:46 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I'm inclined to recommend a 6 foot tank....My tangs never stop going and I feel this extra room is just what they need. I think 75 is pushing it, I'm even on the fence with a 90g..lol In my opinion as long as it's small in a 75g or a 90g then it's ok for a short period of time but not for the fishes forever home.

Just my opinion though and we all have them!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com