huma huma

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dwint

Aquarium Advice Freak
well i bought a huma huma and it's about 3 inches long and what a appetite.he has nipped at one of my smaller clowns and tore up my yellow goby in less than a day.i looked at the compatibility chart and every thing is caution.i hope i'll be alright with a yellow tang and flamming angle.i only have four fish in a 75 gal.i don't want a bunch of killer fish in my tank but i wish i could find something to put this trigger in his place.any suggestions

well i bought a huma huma and it's about 3 inches long and what a appetite.he has nipped at one of my smaller clowns and tore up my yellow goby in less than a day.i looked at the compatibility chart and every thing is caution.i hope i'll be alright with a yellow tang and flamming angle.i only have four fish in a 75 gal.i don't want a bunch of killer fish in my tank but i wish i could find something to put this trigger in his place.any suggestions
A trip back to the LFS....seriously..
Sounds like you got mine actually (where do you live :lol:JK),,but really,,mine had to go..Fish like that usually don't change,,he wants to be the boss and is set that way..Plus a 75 is too small for a 3 inch trigger(any trigg IMHO)

i think your right.i have never had any fish including a velvet damsel,devil damsel or yellow tail damsel bother my clowns.he's a bully.everything got a differant personality i guess i got a ---hole fish

Hes just programmed like that. The yellow tang will need a 125.... srry, but they swim alot. Many people make mistakes with this and it results in death..... u could get a kole tang though!

Hes just programmed like that. The yellow tang will need a 125.... srry, but they swim alot. Many people make mistakes with this and it results in death..... u could get a kole tang though!

A yellow tang does not NEED a 125G. A member of the naso family or larger tangs yes. Im assuming that the tang is not near the full 8" that it will reaching the wild. Yellow tangs are not fast growers either, I've owned several. Don't tell people that need larger tank sizes when all they will do fine a smaller tank that is more affordable. If we truly cared about the well being of fish we wouldn't put them in glass cages to live out their lives.

he went back to the store never again for the triggers

Um, ErollP, most on this site will agree that they definitely SHOULD be in 125s, ya they may survive, but for the well being of the fish, a 125 would definitly do better. FYI, members of the naso family need FAR greater tank sizes than 125s, most grow over 1.5 feet which is the width of a 125, and they never stopped swimming. I also own a yellow tang and wouldnt put an adult in anything less than a 125. Ive also owned a naso (mistake on buying it) and I would suggest a 300g tank for them. Others say over 1000, so im pretty sure none would do well in a 125. dwint, good decision, and good luck!!!!! If you wanted a more peaceful trig (if u got a 125) then i would go with the niger. They are wonderful fish with great personalities.

Just want to say my opinion on yellow tangs, I have one in a 75g tank, it's doing well. Maximum size in the wild is about 8", in captivity it's much lower. This is the only site I've seen that says 125g tank minimum for one. Everyone else says 75g.

I'm inclined to recommend a 6 foot tank....My tangs never stop going and I feel this extra room is just what they need. I think 75 is pushing it, I'm even on the fence with a 90g..lol In my opinion as long as it's small in a 75g or a 90g then it's ok for a short period of time but not for the fishes forever home.

Just my opinion though and we all have them! :-D

Um, ErollP, most on this site will agree that they definitely SHOULD be in 125s, ya they may survive, but for the well being of the fish, a 125 would definitly do better. FYI, members of the naso family need FAR greater tank sizes than 125s, most grow over 1.5 feet which is the width of a 125, and they never stopped swimming. I also own a yellow tang and wouldnt put an adult in anything less than a 125. Ive also owned a naso (mistake on buying it) and I would suggest a 300g tank for them. Others say over 1000, so im pretty sure none would do well in a 125. dwint, good decision, and good luck!!!!! If you wanted a more peaceful trig (if u got a 125) then i would go with the niger. They are wonderful fish with great personalities.

A fish SHOULD be in the ocean where it belongs, but fortunately for us we can we can create it in the living room in a aquarium. The tang police IMO just likes to run their mouths in forums about tank sizes being insufficient and in all honesty its just ruining the hobby. If a person has a 3" tang it DOES NOT need a 125 or 300 or 500 as I've seen people suggest. I can argue all day about tangs and tank sizes but it completely depends on species,size, and temperament. Ive seen naso tangs live their entire lives in a 180G and the fish was beautiful. I can understand if the tank size was something outrageously small but I've seen people complain about 2'' tangs being in a 55G tank. Im looking at this from a scientific standpoint as well as being a avid hobbyist, and trust me ALOT of aquarists feel the same way if feel about the topic.

I'm inclined to recommend a 6 foot tank....My tangs never stop going and I feel this extra room is just what they need. I think 75 is pushing it, I'm even on the fence with a 90g..lol In my opinion as long as it's small in a 75g or a 90g then it's ok for a short period of time but not for the fishes forever home.

Just my opinion though and we all have them! :-D

To each their own, i mean you could take a damsel put it in a 125 by himself and I'm sure he will swim all day and be happy as can be, but we can say the same for every fish that gets the opportunity to have more open water to swim in. Fish belong in the ocean, we simply need to provide a adequate home for the remainder of its life and make sure he's healthy if you need to recreate a ocean in your living room so be it, but were in a recession and thats not the case for everyone. Of course every fish will be better off with more room, why? because it was taken out of the ocean where it had plenty. My point is not to antagonize people about this topic, but I've been a member of over 7 forums and it seem that a good 60% of the so called advice is people making irrational comments about tank sizes and not actually giving people good info on the topic they need help with, and this is why most hobbyists that i know don't even go on forums anymore.

ErrolP said:
A fish SHOULD be in the ocean where it belongs, but fortunately for us we can we can create it in the living room in a aquarium. The tang police IMO just likes to run their mouths in forums about tank sizes being insufficient and in all honesty its just ruining the hobby. If a person has a 3" tang it DOES NOT need a 125 or 300 or 500 as I've seen people suggest. I can argue all day about tangs and tank sizes but it completely depends on species,size, and temperament. Ive seen naso tangs live their entire lives in a 180G and the fish was beautiful. I can understand if the tank size was something outrageously small but I've seen people complain about 2'' tangs being in a 55G tank. Im looking at this from a scientific standpoint as well as being a avid hobbyist, and trust me ALOT of aquarists feel the same way if feel about the topic.

While I am agreeing with everything you're saying, I do have to say that someone should definitely be informed that the tank they have cannot support said fish it's entire life. Most people will not upgrade their tanks leaving a fish that is too small for its environment. I have a coral banded cat shark right now, and it's about 6" so I could put it in my 75g and while it may be ok for now, it will get way too big for the tank.

While I am agreeing with everything you're saying, I do have to say that someone should definitely be informed that the tank they have cannot support said fish it's entire life. Most people will not upgrade their tanks leaving a fish that is too small for its environment. I have a coral banded cat shark right now, and it's about 6" so I could put it in my 75g and while it may be ok for now, it will get way too big for the tank.

I completely agree slitherbomb. A person should have researched their species and needs to prepare for that tank, but a lot of people don't even look at the persons thread when they say they ARE going to upgrade, a tang growing from 4 to 8 inches can take years and in this hobby we all know upgrading tanks is a constant thing. Harassing people on forums with smaller tanks to make themselves and their 125G or 250G tank with 1 fish look like they are following all the rules look like a big shot is completely in the wrong though. Nano tanks are changing the hobby constantly and people are thinking that decreasing bioloads with water changes will make up for the size difference but they SHOULD be reminded about the full grown size of the fish. It's good to know there are still some intelligent hobbyist out there.

Back
Top Bottom