hurricane ike problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

louiseberry

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Looks like we will get hit pretty good with this hurricane, need to know what to do with saltwater tank when power goes off,how long will tank start losing air,just everything to know and do . thanks louiseberry

I'm not a saltwater guy but you could probably pick up a generator and just run the necessities off of it. Sorry to hear you're in the path! Take care.

I would say a day at the most. Do you have access to a generator?

As others have said, buy a generator. Otherwise, you can either rig up a car battery (search for this online) or purchase a "bait box," which is a battery operated portable oxygenator used on fishing trips (most outdoor retailers).

yes,some big battery he will use to keep water moving in tank ,what else should we do ,dont want to stress or lose fish,this storm could be a big oneand power could be out for awhile louiseberry

You can wrap the tank with insulating material if you cannot function the aquarium heater and I would not feed the fish the day before or of. Depending on how bad you expect it to hit, it wouldn't hurt to have extra water made up (at least that of what your tank consists of if feasible), extra buckets, and extra towels just in case.

ok thanks,if anyone else knows anything else please let me know. thanks for the info, im getting alittle rattled. louiseberry

I know when hurricane Isabelle came through here folks were without power for weeks. I was lucky asa it was back on in a day. But I did not have a generator and if I had to wait weeks for power like others then I would have lost everything. A generator would be a good investment.

I really dont think there will be an issue with keeping the tank warm down in Texas at this time of year. I would be more worried about the temp getting too high.

what do i do if temp gets high? we have well water that i use for the tank, i guess i could take a little out, and add alittle in? louiseberry

Thank you ,we faired very good, alittle scary but we were one of the few that kept power,saltwater tank not effected,just alot of devastion,THANK YOU again for all info that we recieved ,we were ready ,and prepared for anything concerning the tank because of that. louiseberry

I had to come back to the saltie forum just to see how you made out. I'm glad your power stayed on and your fishies are ok! :) Take care!

Yes, very lucky. We just received word that there are still 8 people missing from our Houston facility ( Sigma Corporation - Cream Ridge, NJ )and half of the warehouse got washed away. They are without power, gas, and food is pretty limited.

houston in areas flooded,no lites in houston last nite very eerie,the building u saw in galveston next to the flagship hotel,that getted out on the water,, with the other stores ,competly impolted,and washed away,that is were we got are coral ,etc from. very sAD LOUISEBERRY

The remains of hurricane Ike hit Ohio on Sunday, we had 70mph and most of Ohio is still without power ( who would have thought it would be this bad here?). I cant imagine what it was like down south :(. Ours was out from 7pm-4am on Sunday. It was enough to send my ammonia pretty high.

Luckily after about a 30% water change everythings back to normal and survived just fine. I had fed a little more than normal that morning though, but wow! Never would have guessed. I'd add to that advice by saying if you think you may possibly lose power, do a very light feeding if at all before the storm hits. I would agree with the previous advice too, by having either a generator or at least a battery opperated pump.

hope its over for this season!

We got a battery operated pump, fed the fishes before hand, and took all advice we recieved from here,and everything went smooth concerning the tank. Still alot of power off in surrounding towns ,were the only town with gas, from here to houston, and here to austin,Im worried about my fish store,dont know how there doing. louiseberry

Back
Top Bottom