Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 06-22-2014, 06:06 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
It was extremely quiet when I had it. You sure maybe it just isn't plugged in all the way?

55g Reef Build
Macscale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 11:34 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist
Re assembled it today and it's working and no yet producing bubbles but it will soon thanks for your help

20 gallon hoping for 55

40 Gallon FOWLR / 48 x 13 x 17 / Ocellaris Clownfish - Pajama Cardinalfish
1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 03:57 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i have similar unit and had some start up issues as well. one thing i have found is(what i believe is a design flaw) the small 3/16th air line coming off pump gets kinked because it exits the pump at too sharp of an angle. if u have something like a syringe(ones used for administering iv fluids to pets 100 cc type) then try extracting plunger then connect end to the exposed 3/16th hose that is out of the aquarium water and slowly push in u should see major bubbling from center of unit chamber.(with collection cup removed) this may be enough to clear up any restriction. u could also just blow into hose yourself i had to modify the unit by removing the clear plastic piece that slides into skimmer body by pump. that definitely conflicted with the air tube hose as it exited pump. i also have a plastic right angle vacuum tube to ease the angle out of pump. since this mod. it has been working well but needs constant babysitting of col cup as water evaps and changes the level. when the unit starts to operate u will know it because tiny micro bubbles will emit from base of unit for couple days. hope this helps(if u read this far!!)
farmerizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 04:18 PM   #14
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion
Make sure you check for the kink that was mentioned above, but new skimmers need time to break in and adjusting before you see anything from them.
Open up the air intake and valve on the pump as far as you can. Let it sit like this for a week, this will provide the break in time so the oils from fabrication can work their way through.
Then slowly begin adjusting the valves, as doing it all at once will lead it to overflowing as it continues to adjust slowly.

Sniperhank is online now   Reply With Quote

hydor, nano

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com