Hydor slim skim nano not working

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi I have had my Hydor slim skim nano running for a few days now but literally nothing has happened yet. I don't hear it making noise or anything. I know skimmers need to be broken in but I thought it would at least make a noise. I just discovered that it's grate has to be partly in the water not fully today so I just adjusted that. Can anyone tell me what's going on? Has anyone had any experience with this?

I know that was a problem but was that the reason that it wasn't working?

Ohhh, I see what you're saying.
How long ago did you adjust it?
Is it working fine now?
Are there no bubbles or anything being created at all?

And idk if it is working because I can't even hear it

No I am pretty sure I made it properly

Okay I'll wait and see if it helps

Also do you have this skimmer?

Okay because I can't hear it at all is this alright?

Re assembled it today and it's working and no yet producing bubbles but it will soon thanks for your help

20 gallon hoping for 55

i have similar unit and had some start up issues as well. one thing i have found is(what i believe is a design flaw) the small 3/16th air line coming off pump gets kinked because it exits the pump at too sharp of an angle. if u have something like a syringe(ones used for administering iv fluids to pets 100 cc type) then try extracting plunger then connect end to the exposed 3/16th hose that is out of the aquarium water and slowly push in u should see major bubbling from center of unit chamber.(with collection cup removed) this may be enough to clear up any restriction. u could also just blow into hose yourself i had to modify the unit by removing the clear plastic piece that slides into skimmer body by pump. that definitely conflicted with the air tube hose as it exited pump. i also have a plastic right angle vacuum tube to ease the angle out of pump. since this mod. it has been working well but needs constant babysitting of col cup as water evaps and changes the level. when the unit starts to operate u will know it because tiny micro bubbles will emit from base of unit for couple days. hope this helps(if u read this far!!)

Make sure you check for the kink that was mentioned above, but new skimmers need time to break in and adjusting before you see anything from them.
Open up the air intake and valve on the pump as far as you can. Let it sit like this for a week, this will provide the break in time so the oils from fabrication can work their way through.
Then slowly begin adjusting the valves, as doing it all at once will lead it to overflowing as it continues to adjust slowly.

Back
Top Bottom