hydrometer issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nh iceman

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all,

I was wondering how likely it is that a swing arm hydrometer (deep six) can go bad. The reason I ask is I recently set up a new tank and i mixed the salt water carefully and also used 50% water from the old tank. When I take hydrometer reading with the deep six the reading is low (1.18 but when i use an old floating type hydrometer i have it says it is right on (1.022).

So i did an experiment where i mixed a gallon of water with the exact right amount of salt to give me 1.022 and took a reading and got 1.014 with the deep six.

My question is is it possible that the deep six is somehow off? Has this happened to anyone else? Thanks for any info anyone can provide.

P.S. I just ordered a refractometer to use from here on out but it will not be here till next week sometime.

The problem with the hydrometer is that if it`s off you cant calibrate it like you can a refractometer.

Hydrometers are notorious for giving false readings, as you found out. That is very common. Good move getting the refracto.

Back
Top Bottom