hydrometer or refractometer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
can I get by using a hydrometer for my FOWLR tank or should I invest in a refractometer....

Since I was buying saltwater from my LFS I got by with a hydrometer just fine. Now that I have gotten an RO/DI unit and will be mixing water myself I bought a refractometer on eBay for $20. I will not be able to read the hydrometer in my black bucket nor do i want to use another container to check salinity with a hydrometer. If you mix your own salt a refractometer would be more convenient than a hydrometer.

A refractometer is better than a hydrometer by leaps & bounds. And, I would recommend getting a reference solution for calibration...... you can use RODI in a pinch. A lot of people say RODI works fine, and it may, but I work with a lot of lab equipment, and that would be like taking one of my thermometers and calibrating it to 35deg when I use it for a 75deg water bath....... Makes a little more sense to calibrate it within the range that it's being used.

For the extra $20 bucks I think a refractometer is the way to go. Much easier to use and so much more accurate. I bought a $5 bottle of solution to calibrate it, I do this every month or so to make sure it stays accurate and so far, after 3 years I have not had to adjust it since I first calibrated it.

I just bought a refractometer off of eBay for 22.60 free shipping and a soft case I just got it Monday and I can't believe I used anything else its awesome and they are so easy to use. Must of checked my tanks 20 times in three days lol

I'd be careful buying refractometers off eBay. Buy from reputable people it's not worth the risk of inaccurate readings. I got mine from bulk reef supply for like $40

Refractometers are as simple as technology can get. I bought a cheap one on E-bay and it works fine. I would calibrate it, but mine came in already right on. BRS is also a good bet.

Refractometers are as simple as technology can get. I bought a cheap one on E-bay and it works fine. I would calibrate it, but mine came in already right on. BRS is also a good bet.

mine off ebay just kept losing it calibration so i had to redo it every time. Mine from BRS has held cal since i got it.

ok..ok refractometer it is. Don't know what I was thinking. Wanted to save money.
Tried my hydrometer last night with some tap water and it read 1.004. Instructions say it should read 1.000. Guess you should not get cheap on a device that is one of the most important items you can have when it comes to salt water tanks...

ok..ok refractometer it is. Don't know what I was thinking. Wanted to save money.
Tried my hydrometer last night with some tap water and it read 1.004. Instructions say it should read 1.000. Guess you should not get cheap on a device that is one of the most important items you can have when it comes to salt water tanks...

Yes, I used the old hydrometer for many years. The same one at least, so it was consistent. But the refractometer is much better.

Winner winner chicken dinner...you got the bad one! Usually happens to me too. ;-)
We can sum it up to operator error lol i dont mind

When i first started into it and learned about the hydrometer issues. So i took my water to a friend with a refractometer and it measured the exact same but not that long ago i bought a new one and it showed my tank was 1.020 so i took my water back to a friend and he showed 1.026 so to the internet i went shopping for a refractometer lol. I use the BRS one and their calibration solution instead of rodi. Makes more sense to me to calibrate it in the range you'll be using it for.

Yeah... Go with a refractometer. It's quick, accurate and inexpensive. Instant Ocean's hydrometer is quite accurate as well, but is a pain whenever the dial gets stuck.

At roughly $30, its not even a sizeable expense in the scope of the sw hobby. I always recommend refracs

Back
Top Bottom