Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-09-2014, 04:08 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
Watch for rapid breathing, the fish can tolerate a few parasites on their bodies, but when they infect the gills, death follows close behind.
I am watching them. So far so good. I've dealt with Ich and other ailments over the years. This feels different because it is being done in the DT (which I never do) and it is on such a large scale. I know the treatment is the same though.

I got about 100 more gallons of freshwater added between last night and this morning before going to work. I will see where salinity is at this afternoon when I get home and it will be down to .008 by bedtime tonight.

Old 01-13-2014, 02:12 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Have you tried soaking their food in liquid garlic?

Old 01-13-2014, 12:31 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

They are all eating fine. I have seen no scientific evidence that garlic boosts immunity. I feel it acts as a supplement to entice them to eat. If they weren't eating, I probably would use it though . I think the seaweed/ algae sheets I feed the Tang with have it.
Old 01-13-2014, 12:42 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

As an update...so far, so good. The Huma Huma had spots, went a couple days totally clear, but now has something going on with it's skin. Almost looks flakey on spots... Kinda like after you get a sunburn and your skin peels. I'm hoping that is just it's slime coat rebuilding. The Desjardini Tang looked bad for a couple days. Had some big white spots all over its body. Larger than any I have ever sen. Those are off now, but you can see where some were. The Porcupine Puffer is now taking his turn with spots. He 's covered, but is still breathing fine and eats like a pig. The Valentini Puffer has shown no signs of anything. The Engineer Goby...I have no idea. I see his head way back in a cave, so it is impossible to tell. I think once the others are cleared up, I will try to get him out in the open to take a look.

Parameters are doing okay. Zero ammonia and nitrites and nitrates are about 20-40. I plan to do a water change this weekend. The only thing that kinda worries me is that my skimmer is not skimming much now. My water levels are a little higher (about an inch ) in the sump, after adding a little too much water this weekend, so I am wondering if that is it or the lower salinity. I figure by mid-week, evaporation will bring it back down.
Old 01-13-2014, 01:22 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Glad things are going well. Your skimmer production will be minimal while in hypo. So don't really worry about that .

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
^ Quoted from Porc Chop^
Hondatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:31 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Go figure...this morning, everything is looking good with all the fish. One possible spot on the trigger (might just be a flake of skin from the prior spots). The Valentini Puffer looked a little bloated, but I fed last night and I figured he just ate a lot. He was the one that never showed any signs of Ich. Today I come home from work and the puffer is dead. The others all look great. There was a red area on it's belly and I'm wondering if either the trigger or Porcupine puffer got him. I've seen no signs of aggression though.
Old 01-18-2014, 12:12 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

That's odd, too bad there a nice fish
Old 01-18-2014, 12:56 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

To add to the mystery , I wake up this morning and my Porcupine Puffer is puffed up, but not moving around. Breathing seems normal (not rapid), but he is twitching and there seems to be a few spots where I can see stringy/slimy strands coming off of him. I'm not sure if that is just from the body expanding, but the twitching does not look good and it has not moved all morning. It is not as puffed now, but it has been puffed since at least 5:30am.

The Picaso and Desjardinni look perfectly fine.

Does anyone know if hypo is more difficult on Puffers? It seems odd that both Puffers are having issues within days of one another, whole the other fish seem fine and are doing great.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3492067174.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	140.1 KB
ID:	217292
Old 01-18-2014, 01:44 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

No issues when my porc went through hypo . Nothing with the Toby either besides his mishap with the other fish .

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
^ Quoted from Porc Chop^
Hondatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 02:00 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah...I had not heard they had issues, but it seems strange that the puffers are both doing bad around the same time. The Porc was the last of the fish to get spots, be he looked pretty good the last couple days and ate fine on TH. I guess time will tell...

Off to buy salt...it's PWC day...

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com