Hyposalinity in Display Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm worried about the Desjardinni Tang now. It has been spot-free for a few days now, but today it is not acting normal and has a whitish area on one side of it 's belly. Almost looks like the skin was scraped, but it is a decent sized area, so it is not that.

My wife, who was home with our sick Son today , said the Engineer Goby was out more towards the front today, which is odd behavior for that too. It usually is way back in the tank and you can only see about an inch of it's head.

This keeps up and I'm considering going reef and adding fish way down the line after every possible disease is long gone.

I had started a thread over in Sick Fish and forgot to update here...

The Tang and Engineer Goby both died within minutes of one another. The Tang had some strange markings that almost look like something internal, maybe bacterial? I've never seen anything like it and have yet to find anyone that knows what it is.

The Huma Huma was moved to a smaller tank and seems to be okay. Probably not thrilled, but alive, spot-free and eating. I am going to go another week, or so, in hypo for him and start raising the salinity. If he makes it, I am going to sell him. The DT is going fallow now and I've started a little reef tank in the bedroom (started new thread in Members Tanks area).

Hey Todd,
Would you have done anything different
Initially to combat ick? Reason me asking is I'm pretty sure my idol and 120 g DT have it. Any input or advice would be appreciated

I'm not sure in all honesty. I think that if I had done nothing, they would not have made it, but in hindsight, I think it was Ich and something else. I don't think that the hypo killed them directly, but maybe it caused other issues? The Desjardini Tang had some weird markings that I almost think was bacterial, but I've shown it to three LFS that have people with lots of experience. They were all stumped.

I've done hypo in smaller QT tanks before with no issues. In fact the Trigger is in a small tank with a green Chromis in hypo right now. I'm working on bringing the salinity up slowly now and both look great. The DT remains fallow.

I think that right this instant, if I had it to do again, I probably would have tried them split up between smaller QT tanks and started the fallow DT at that point. If Ii knew there was going to be all the weirdness, I probably would have tried copper, but I typically go hypo.

That's very helpful, thanks for all that.
I'm really not sure what route I will take.
Fish seem healthy and eating, even the idol who's the only one with white spots...but I know the sooner the better?

Back
Top Bottom