Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-30-2007, 01:13 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

I am looking for ... :( and I can't find it

I have been looking for a used skimmer on craigslist but there isn't anything close enough to my place or a decent price!. Do any of u guys know a place where I can order protein skimmers online or anywhere that ships it to WA with a decent price?
(rly on a budget here so I am kinda desperate)

also I don't like Jebo, I have heard nothing but negative comments about them.... I preffer AquaC for my 75 gal. tank please help... I want to get my aquarium started.

thanks in advance!!!!!!!

Mike

Old 05-30-2007, 01:39 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

If money is an issue, as it is for many, you can purchase a skimmer at a later date when affordable for you. You know, if this is to be a reef display then going skimmerless is not that big of an issue as long as your husbandry is up to par.

Old 05-30-2007, 01:56 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to flip_lx
only thing i can suggest is the obvious choice of ebay
Old 05-30-2007, 03:02 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you're looking used, then yup... eBay and craigslist are probably your best bet. (I'm assuming you've tried the "classified" section of our website already?)

Regarding shipping costs, most online places charge shipping based on dollar amount, not where they're shipping to. I'm in WA also, and the closest "big" online outfit I can think of is MarineDepot.com. Better yet... for orders over $175, shipping is free. For a good skimmer, you should have no problem meeting that requirement!
Old 05-30-2007, 10:57 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

mike,

if cost is a prohibitive factor why not build your own protein skimmer. If you look at the design of a CPR BakPak or even AquaC Remora they are simple units that are not very complicated. Many, many hobbyists make their own skimmer with good results. Obviously you would need a pump and I would recommend the inexpensive Maxi Jet 1200. Also check out http://www.aquatraders.com/index.asp...ROD&ProdID=207 . These are of course Chinese rips of more popular designs though like I said skimmers are not very complicated and these puppies run cheap!
Old 05-30-2007, 03:13 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to artoledo Send a message via MSN to artoledo Send a message via Yahoo to artoledo
I have a SeaClone that came with my tank and those are pretty cheap. Not to mention it needs a lot of tweaking to get it right. You might want to look into one of those. But like macman7010 said, why not make your own?

-----Armando-----
artoledo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 05:36 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Premiumaquatics.com has good prices IMO(FWIW some sites will price match). You could also try searching the classified section of this and other forums. There are 2 Aqua-C Remora Pro's listed right now here-
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98623
Old 05-30-2007, 05:39 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to artoledo Send a message via MSN to artoledo Send a message via Yahoo to artoledo
There u go mike. it doesnt get any better than that.

-----Armando-----
artoledo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 05:51 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

yes.... ty 4 all helps... i think ime get one in this one site at dr smith or something.com... heard its cheap there and also shipping is like $15 for all of it..... i might get an aquaclear one...... i don't know if its a good brand tho
Old 05-30-2007, 06:06 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
i might get an aquaclear one...... i don't know if its a good brand tho
I'm not familiar w/ aquaclear skimmers, but I can say you get what you pay for w/ skimmers. Best to do it right the first time, so to speak. FWIW I use an Aqua-C Remora, and I really like it. If your looking for a HOB skimmer, they don't get much better IMO. I've had cheaper skimmers in the past, such as the Seaclone, and they just don't compare to the Remora.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com