Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-20-2012, 11:03 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

As sniper said, you also may have introduced too much livestock at once. How long did you wait between introduction of each fish? How old is your tank, meaning how long in total has it been up and running? Your clean up crew may not be adding much to your readings but they may not have enough "food" to survive if it is a young tank. If that is the case, you may be having some of the clean up crew (whatever it consists of) dieing and that will also cause an ammonia spike.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:19 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I added the clownfish about a month after I thought the tank had completely cycled and then waited three weeks before adding the cardinals then another month before adding the firefish. I do think there has been some die off from cleanup crew because I can't find my turbo snails and I saw what I thought were some legs from 1 of my blue leg hermit crabs

LFS recommended a large cleanup crew:
20 astraea snails
20 blue leg hermit crabs
3 nassarius snails
1 sea urchin
1 astrea star
3 turbo snails
2 emerald crabs

I beginning to think the LFS was selling stuff I didn't need! Thanks again for all of your help!

Old 06-21-2012, 12:12 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

I would have to agree that your having some clean up crew die off. I bet your having more than you realize. The die off will cause an ammonia spike more than you realize. As long as you keep up in your daily water changes, I think your fish would be fine. Just be sure to test the parameters BEFORE you do the water change to see the status of your bacteria level. Continue your water changes on a schedule (daily) til you see 0 ammonia and 0 nitrItes and then you would be able to continue your recommended 10% weekly water changes as normal. Good luck and I hope I have helped somewhat. If I am wrong in my advise, I hope someone will chime in, but this is what I did when I was in your EXACT situation.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:09 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

Seems like a large cleanup crew for a new tank...
Old 06-21-2012, 10:37 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Ok thanks again! I have started 25% water changes today. In your opinions what kind of time frame am I looking at to get nitrites and ammonia back to 0. Also if my fish happen to survive this what should be my next steps? Should I replace cleanup crew, I'm just not sure what to do next. I know it will take a while for water changes to hel and I hope my fish survive.

Again thanks for everyones help!! It is definitely appreciated!
Old 06-21-2012, 11:12 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

I would plan for daily changes and be testing before the change is done. Keep records of the test results. Also, don't feed very often until the parameters are "normal". I personally would feed once every 2 days or maybe even push it to 3 days. It could be as soon as a week when you see results but maybe longer. Good luck and please post results as to how its coming along.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:14 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Oh, and no. Don't buy any more clean up crew. Your tank is still young and in all reality you don't even need a crew yet. Let the tank mature for a while.

Tags
meters, parameters, question, water, water parameters

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com