I am wondering how many fish you can put in A 55 gallon fish only tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rylanb123

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi I am wondering how many fish you can put I. A 55 gallon fish only tank I have two damsels one clown an algae blenny three chromes a dottyback peppermint shrimp I really want a Niger trigger but don't wanna risk it help me please I have a 55 gallon filter aqueon and a heater with a pristine skimmer have regular sand (not live) or live rock but they seem fine I do a water change every two weeks its crystal clear and yea just wondering it I can add a Niger trigger he will be my last fish ( unfourtionitley) I if get him thanks

Hi I am wondering how many fish you can put I. A 55 gallon fish only tank I have two damsels one clown an algae blenny three chromes a dottyback peppermint shrimp I really want a Niger trigger but don't wanna risk it help me please I have a 55 gallon filter aqueon and a heater with a pristine skimmer have regular sand (not live) or live rock but they seem fine I do a water change every two weeks its crystal clear and yea just wondering it I can add a Niger trigger he will be my last fish ( unfourtionitley) I if get him thanks

Well there's me and everyone complains about it but its fine!!

I have in my 50 gallon
35kg live rock
Live sand
4 blue damsels
4 yellow chromis
1 blue chromis
I velvet damsel
1 algae blenny
1 watchman goby
1 citron goby
1 white black red green brown goby
3 cleaner shrimps
20 turbo snails
2 common clowns
1 clarki clown
A powder blue gang
A lipstick tang
A yellow tang
A drawf Pygmy angelfish
1 foot wide malu brown anenome
1 other anenome
About 6 various corals
I think that's it ;) just to give you an idea

Please don't give hate my tank is fine and completely stable

Oh and a sixline wrasse

Omg thank you so much I have no worries now thank you and can't wait to get live rock and go full throttle thanks I love my blenny he loves pellet food Hahahah thanks

Attachments

• image-2519365587.jpg
    image-2519365587.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 92
Omg thank you so much I have no worries now thank you and can't wait to get live rock and go full throttle thanks I love my blenny he loves pellet food Hahahah thanks

That's great people do over estimate I think a bit although saying a trigger fish is quite territorial and can be destructive just watch him for a couple days ;)

Okay I will ill try and get a baby and hand feed so he is not *** aggressive ill keep an eye o. Him :):thanks: my tank is artafital so yea here is a bid of my tank

You can't actually add people on here as far as I know although if you pm me ill be happy to help

I would advice against getting the trigger for your tank. They need to be in a larger tank as they can get to a foot long. He wouldn't be able to turn around not to mention other issues that would arise. I don't believe any trigger would work in that tank size.

Live aquaria has pretty good info…

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+44+257&pcatid=257

Thanks by my local pet store takes them back after they have grown and sell them for more so I get a new one I know the manegment of my local pet store but I will keep In mi d if want to start a big tank

Good night it's 2:30 where I live I'm freakin tired Hahahah stop posting please it goes to my phone and it hose DING DING DING lol

If you do decide to get the triggerfish even though I would say a 150g plus tank is prob a minimum for this fish, make sure your rocks are well fixed as they have a tendency to move loose rocks/aquascaping.

Wow! 22 fish in a 200L tank? How is that even possible? I am not going to come down on you man, I also have a 200L tank with a pair of perc clowns, a scooter blenny, a cardinal, a firefish and a sharp nose puffer and am considered by many to be fully stocked. How do you do it??? You must have a monster skimmer for that load! May I ask how long all of these fish have been in there?

Triggers are known for becoming aggressive and occasionally going ballistic and killing tankmates. it just depends on the one you get and its temperament. I would guess that putting it in tight quarters is going to increase the chances due to territoriality.

I'm not hating on the person that posted the massively overstocked tank earlier, but that certainly is the exception and there is zero chance that all those fish will work long term in a 50g tank. The three tangs alone will outgrow that tank and unless they are tiny, I can't imagine how you would keep parameters in check.

Don't take this the wrong way, but just because your tank is doing fine now does not mean it will be fine in the future. 20 fish for that small a tank is way to much. The pet stores do it because they sale the fish fast and they never really stay in the tank that long.

You say it's fine and a lot of people hate on you, but that's only because they have experience and have done the same thing you have done now. I started a freshwater 29 gallon tank and threw in 4 dwarf gourami, 1 golden gourami, 1 blue gourami, 2 clown loaches, 1 Rainbow fish, 2 mollies, 2 sward-tails, a lobster (Took him back, trying to eat everything), 6 neon glow fish, and 1 Pleco. That's 20 fish in a 29 gallon tank that I just put up THAT DAY. :-/

I was a real noob, and my tank was fine for a while. I had it up for 2 months and kept using the "Tetra Safe Start". Well than it happened, all my fish started dieing and I couldn't figure out why. My tank was starting to really cycle the Safe Start couldn't handle it anymore. Plus my golden gourami was terrorizing everything. I went from 19 fish down to 10 fish. Than when everything was said and done, I had only 6 fish left. I was upset and mad. I took my fish back for no credit and put all my fish tank stuff away. I than found this website and started researching. I found out all I did wrong, and learned from the mistake and set up a 29 gallon salt water tank. It's been 3 months and no problems. I only got 3 fish that belong in a 29 gallon, and one fish that is pushing it.

I am planning a 180 gallon tank right now. It won't be until a year from now, but every fish I have can live in a 29 gallon all their lives but one. The Blue Spotted Puffer according live aquaria needs a 50 gallon tank for it's whole life, yet I have researched and talk to many experienced hobbyist in my local area that kept them in a 29 with no problems. My fish has been happy swimming around for 3 months. I plan on no more fish until my 180 gallon is set up and my 4 fish I have now will be moved to the 180.

My tank is as follows.

1 Flam Hawk
1 Six Line Wrasse
1 Clown Fish
1 Blue Spotted Toby (Puffer)

That's it, and I even think that is pushing it!! I got a BIG skimmer for the tank a BH-1000 reef octopus. I got 50 pounds of live rock and 60 pounds of live sand. I have a canister filter that I clean every week to make sure the Nitrates are kept in check, but it keeps my water clear and clean!

The point is, 20 fish in that 55 gallon is not a good idea. You got fish that need a 125 gallon Minimal!! Live Aquaria suggest 180 gallons for a yellow tang (I think that is going overboard myself, but I do think they need at least 125).

To the new guy. Remember one good saying! A understocked tank is easier to keep up than an overstocked tank. I also feel that it looks better as you can really appreciate the fish you have in the tank. When you have too much there is information overload!! For a 55 gallon tank I would suggest doing your research and not listen to the LFS. They will sale you anything. I have found one in my area that is REAL good about the fish you buy, they asked me before I bought my fish what tank I have. They refuse to sale a fish that will not have enough space or a fish that will go in a tank that is not cycled. I am so glad I found that store, but they are few and far between, so you got to be careful of where you get your advice.

Do not get the Trigger are any Tang that needs a big tank to swim. I talked to one lady that has a yellow tang in her 29 gallon and she can't figure out why it keeps bumping into the wall hard. Some fish have it bad, don't make the mistake of giving your fish a bad place to live for the sake of looks. With a 55 there is a lot of cool fish you can get that will live their whole lives in that size of a tank. When you get a tank set up and perfect it's worth it. Good Luck!

Yeah we'll my fish are fine have been 2 years running its a massively stable mature tank no one realises that it can be done it too me 6 months to slowly stock it and they have been fine it not like putting a 6 inch fish in a 12 inch tank is it.... My tank is fine and it has been for ages I knew there would be people out there who would just quite simply click there fingers and say its bad and rubbish I mean seriously guys just take it in to account? It's not that bad I have loads of hiding rock etc and yeah so goodbye ;)

Yeah we'll my fish are fine have been 2 years running its a massively stable mature tank no one realises that it can be done it too me 6 months to slowly stock it and they have been fine it not like putting a 6 inch fish in a 12 inch tank is it.... My tank is fine and it has been for ages I knew there would be people out there who would just quite simply click there fingers and say its bad and rubbish I mean seriously guys just take it in to account? It's not that bad I have loads of hiding rock etc and yeah so goodbye ;)

Plenty of things can be done that shouldn't be done. I can keep a chihuahua in a shoebox but should I? Yes your fish can survive, but for how long and at what cost to them physically? Would you like to be locked in your closet with three other people?

Zakwhite

I am glad it worked for you, but it's just not a wise thing to do. That is all were telling the original poster. How many fish have died in your tank? I am assuming you lost none than?

Of course there is going to be people that say you are doing it wrong, but that's just the way it is on here. If you feel your doing it right than so be it. What is right for you is not right for someone else.

[Edit] it works for me always has your opinion ain't gunna be changing my mind anytime soon/ ever. I have had 2 fish 2 they were to small for my tank about half an inch long blue chromis wasn't at all surprises my parameters are spot on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom