Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-18-2007, 05:25 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

yes I have bad flow I think.. maybe running at 500-600 gph.. Im gonna get a good powerhead soon when I get my first check in about 2 weeks, I only have mj1200, mag5 pump return (5 ft of hose) and the powersweep ( so weak i cant even feel it when I put my hands in front of it), I have heard that hydor koralia is a good brand so I'm thinking of getting that... but someone has told me that ph just helps it to not settle on the sandbed. Also, I vacum my sand and it gets mixed around pretty good... the only thing is that a lot of the cyano just sticks to the sand and turns into chunks so I don't really get all of cyano in sandbed. as for the rock, I dont get all of it because my siphon is limited to where & how far I can reach it :P.. I just started using carbon but I don't think I'm gonna keep doing that..

I think my plan is to get chemi-clean, better ph, and maybe a new skimmer (my seaclone 150 is so not worth the money!) I guess I'm suppose to say this, "I'm sorry, I should have listened when everyone told me to wait and invest my $ for a better skimmer."

Old 09-18-2007, 08:29 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Flow is a good thing to bring up. The amount of flow (gal/hr) is important, but so is the direction the flow is aimed in. Adding more flow is a great idea and finding a good chaotic flow pattern that reaches all area of the tank. Alos, cut back your lighting even more...3-4hrs a day.

Old 09-20-2007, 11:49 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Am i missing something ! I dont understand why everyone says the seaclone 150 is a horrible protein skimmer. I have one, have not ever had a different brand, but it seems like i have plenty of skimate coming into the collection cup pretty much daily with a small bioload of just two percs and one sixline wrasse in a 75 gallon. My water parrameters all seem to be good. Am i missing something on how to judge a skimmer? I am a little confused about what I should expect out of my skimmer because if my 150 is not doing the job i would like to look at geting something different.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:57 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshsReef
Am i missing something ! I dont understand why everyone says the seaclone 150 is a horrible protein skimmer. I have one, have not ever had a different brand, but it seems like i have plenty of skimate coming into the collection cup pretty much daily with a small bioload of just two percs and one sixline wrasse in a 75 gallon. My water parrameters all seem to be good. Am i missing something on how to judge a skimmer? I am a little confused about what I should expect out of my skimmer because if my 150 is not doing the job i would like to look at geting something different.
I didn't think there was anything wrong with my Seaclone until I got a Berlin skimmer. A lot of stuff you learn from comparing. For example the Seaclone never seemed to skim correctly, it's either total liquid or nothing at all and once I finally did get the right amount, it would need adjusting again within a few days. It also constantly had micro bubbles it spits back in the tank. The Berlin is maintenance free.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:57 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

what do you mean the right amount? i get liquid and foam, seems fine honestly. I guess i will not really know till i try a different product later on down the road. Doesnt really matter what comes out does i? As long as that nasty stuff is leaving the water everything should be good. I dont really have a microbubble problem eithier.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:38 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

yes... If I adjust it to do the job I think is good enough, there would just be microbubbles all over my tank & my waterflow on the skimmer would also be too weak, I think its a good bang for the buck but It definitely doesn't get enough out of my tank. Anyways, Its just everywhere now.. I'm broke right now so can't wait for paycheck next friday to get chemiclean and solve this symptom... ofcourse I would also look for the problem so I might get a couple MJ's or a hydor koralia
Old 09-21-2007, 01:13 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshsReef
what do you mean the right amount? i get liquid and foam, seems fine honestly. I guess i will not really know till i try a different product later on down the road. Doesnt really matter what comes out does i? As long as that nasty stuff is leaving the water everything should be good. I dont really have a microbubble problem eithier.
It's all about efficiency. You can have the waste be really watery but then you'll be emptying it a couple times a day and adding more top off because of it.
Old 09-21-2007, 02:51 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

my seaclone 150 constantly needs adjusting. I cant wait to by a different brand to see the difference. Do any of you guys think Mike is having all these problems because he rushed into the hobby, or just a case of bad luck. I remember when he first joined up, all the pro's were telling him to slow down or you will run into major problems.
55 gallon, FOWLR, 70 pds of live rock, live sand, HOB Emperor 400, protein skimmer, 2 maxi jet 1200. T5 lighting, 1 snowflake eel, 1 spotted cardinal, 1 6 line wrasse, 1 foxface one spot, 1 female percula, 1 anemone, snails, crabs,
saywill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 08:16 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

got my chemiclean.. put it there, its been 5 days, gonna go change the water now.. also got hydor koralia (600gph), hopefully things get better soon..

note: chemi-clean just made it the growth stop & took care of a lot of cyano.. there is still a lot but i will vacuum the rest

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com