I have a lot of questions...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stryder

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi, I'll try not to be too high maintainance but my questions may be helpful to more than just me... (my tank: 130g simple fish, simple corals, relatively new)

Lets start with water changes. I have thought it a good idea to have a 30g pail of made water on hand and I was wondering if when I do a change, should I keep the "used" water? it seems to me that if you can have a supply of cycled water on hand it can always be a good thing.

Thanks for your thoughts! :)

I dump the old water. THe bactera in your tank dont really populate the water column so your old water is basicly loaded with fish waste and other disolved organics as well as being somewhat trace element depleated.

If I could run a hose from the tank to the drain, I would... Straight down as fast as it can flow...

I actually think recycling water is a good thing, while there is little bacteria, the water from my reef is just fine for a quarantine or FOWLR or FO tank. I would not use water from a FO or FOWLR after pulling it out nor would I "reuse" it in the same tank.

Have to agree with reefrunner69 I do a water change of about 30 gal in me 125 gal every 2 weeks and use that water to do a water change in my Q tank, then dump the rest. Every 2 week is just my routine and it seems to work well but it is definitely a good idea to always have another 30 gal bucket of fresh RO water ready to go you will never know when you will need it.

Good advice! Thanks!!!
Here's another one... I have a Naso Tang in hospital tank right now with a fungusy white cottony stuff on it's tail. I have seen it clear a little but not dissappear. I am dosing with Melafix and wonder if there is a better drug to kill this stuff. oh it's not eating either. (I have just lost 5 clowns to a fin rotting disease of some sort, killed em in about 24 hours, that's why I took the tang out.) Everyone else seems ok...

Thanks! :? :(

Ok, tang is not looking good...kinda laying sideways a little...I don't get it.
I'm not getting any more fish til my tank is another month or two cycled.

Sorry to hear about the tang, I run a copper in mine and put them in there for 3 weeks before they go in my display tank. it helps to get rid of any diseases.

Ok well, on to next questions!!

What is the thought on buying wild caught clowns vs. tank raised?? I would like to get a pair and see if they will mate :D I like the Maroon and the darker tomato.

THanks for the words folks!!

Not really much of a difference, the tank raised tend to be a little hardier than the wild because they have spent their life in the tank so the shock factor is not as bad, But I know people who have had great luck with either.

Sorry for the Tang ! I lost a Scopa and it was a sad moment since it was my first fish ... :(
For the Clown, have you considered Clarkii ???
They are tough and very much alive ....

Back
Top Bottom