I have an Idea, Lets Jump out of the TANK!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

baron1282

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok, I am at my wits END with this issue!

I have a hood on my tank, and I have always had hoods on my tanks. I am at a loss for words right now.

My Flame Hawk jumped overboard and well is now in the great tank in the sky.:(

This is the fourth fish I had jump from my tank and die. I have had two clowns jump and a Six Line, and now my Flame. I am so upset and pissed right now because that is $60 down the toilet and of course a good looking fish that was really fun to watch.

As some of you know, I am working on a 120 gallon LONG tank. I need to find a way to stop my fish from jumping. I can buy bigger fish that can't jump out of the tank, but this is really bumming me out. I have to have places for the equipment to go into, so how can I completely close it off? I am going to buy light eggs crates for my 120, plus a hood so that I have the tank closed off, but my two clowns found a way out of that when I had it deployed on my 29 gallon.

I just do not know what to do anymore! It's very frustrating to lose a fish not to poor water, but to jumping. All of my fish have gotten along without issue or chasing. So I don't know what is going on. :banghead:

The other thing that ticks me off, is that I got to many places that all have open tanks with no hoods, and their fish do not jump out. Why are my fish so dumb?

Is it the water quality? I've heard they'll do that to escape an uncomfortable environment. Not sure, but I've heard the vets say things like that.

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

No the water quality is perfect! Just tested. He was happy and now dead. I think that it might have to do with the fact I filled the water level of the tank to the very edge by mistake to top it off. Might have tried to see what was up there. I don't know..

Escape artists! Make sure no electric current running thru your tank causing these leaps

If there is a hood over the tank and a fish jumped out, where is the hole at? I'd find it and cover it or use egg crate so they can't jump out anymore.
I would also do some investigating to see if you aren't having any stray voltage or anything like that. I lost my male b/w clown a long way back due to stray voltage from a bad heater. Gave me quite the shock when I discovered it...

lowes and home depot sell DIY mesh screens. just buy some aluminum framing, corner connectors, the desired mesh, and the ribbing.... its fairly straightforward and cheap. cost me less than $30 to build 3 for my 125 and there isnt a single opening in them. only alteration i did was drill 1 hole for the powerheads power cords (one on each end of tank). ive literally been sitting on my couch watching the tank and seen fish bounce off it.

Thanks for the Info guys, it's really disheartening to say the least. I almost for a brief moment lost my desire to finish my large tank and just not do anymore fish.

I am going to do the egg crate for my 120 gallon tank. If it was stray voltage I think I would already know, as I have my hands in the tank almost all the time getting the clip for the sea weed. LOL

Well I hope it isn't voltage, just was in my case. Fish can jump even when bullies by other fish. Just keep an eye on things when the heater kicks on, you'll see if it's involved.

Thanks for the advice! I will look into that for the 120 I am starting. I noticed the heater turned on and nothing. I think that My issue is that I fill my water right to the edge and that gives them the chance to swim right to the edge and jump. So NO more! Plus he liked to perch on the sponges of my skimmer which were close to the top. That combined with the close proximity of the water is what I think made him jump.

Some fish just jump. I have a Blue Jaw Tile fish that is a real jumper. I had egg crate on my tank but it really cut the light. Then I covered the holes with plexiglas but water condensed on it so it was no better. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom