I killed my clown :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SaltieFresh

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Unfortunately, I ended my male clown's life prematurely and I feel really bad about it. I was pumping more water into the tank, but had to shut off the pump really quick because I thought I heard someone at the door. This caused the water to siphon back into the tube (I wasn't even thinking about that possibility). I'm guessing that the curious clown got too close to the tub and got sucked in. There wasn't even anyone at the door either! When I got back, I turned on the pump and a mess of finely chopped up flesh and bones came streaming out (sorry if I that sentence was a bit graphic). Right after that happened, the female clown started freaking out!

that is both horrific and extremely sad :( i'm sorry you had to go through that. we live and we learn

oops. that really stinks. you might want to get your other clown a therapist and a small fish couch to lay on.

Jimbo7, I just might have to do that. I realize that people tend to give animals humanistic qualities in terms of emotions and behavior; but dang, she seems really sad. I remember a few weeks ago when the male clown jumped into the overflow chamber, she wouldn't leave the area and they were separated by the overflow wall.

Aw :( I'm sorry to hear that. I hope she will be ok, and that had to be really hard to go through. I would have freaked. Were they a mated pair?

You might need to put some type of sponge over the hole so that does not happen. That`s a sad story.

I know, clowns most of all are so quirky. Its so easy to relate human emotions and tendencies to them. They are so fun.

It almost seems wrong to plan this, but I'm going to need to know how to introduce another clown into the tank.

Yeah, it was pretty gruesome to say the least. The CUC was going nuts.

Melosu58, I'll definitely be putting a sponge or net around the tube. That, or NEVER leave while I'm using it.

Sorry about your clown.

To introduce another just buy a much larger or smaller clown than the one you already have. If the clown you have now was the bigger of the two get a smaller clown because you have a female clown (females are always the larger dominant ones) and buying a small one will make sure your buying a male and that there won't be much fighting. If you the bigger one was sucked in still buy a smaller clown. Really try to find one that is a good inch or so smaller. This will mean less fighting when you put the new one in. If you have to buy a bigger one make sure it's really big.

Good luck. :)

I'm VERY confused, yet very excited. I don't know how it's possible, but the male clown fish is still alive!!! One of my fish had to die because there were fish guts and tiny bones everywhere (perhaps is was the firefish). The thing that I get is that the clown was the one by the tube right before I left and the firefish was nowhere near it. I'm still sad that a fish died, but glad that the clown fish is still alive.

Back
Top Bottom