Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-30-2010, 06:41 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
i would put about 2" of sand and a couple pieces of live rock rubble in the refugium, fill the rest with macroalgae, and call it a day. i don't think you have enough room in there for a DSB and macroalgae.
you are putting more rock in the display, right?

Old 11-30-2010, 01:50 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

yes i have 30 + lbs of live rock in my 30 gal fowlr tank.. i was thinking once the 50 gal tank cycles then i can add that rock,would that work??

and i will just go get some live sand for the fuge, but what about the macro?? b4 the cycle or after?????

Old 11-30-2010, 03:58 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

oh..sorry about that. i'm subscribed to a few threads and got this one mixed up with another. you are doing fine.
btw, just put dry aragonite based sand in the refugium, it will become live on it's own. you don't need to purchase "live" sand.
i wouldn't add the macroalgae until after the cycle. i have seen it fail due to the ammonia, and it's not going to do any good during the cycle anyway.
Old 12-01-2010, 01:40 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

i still could not get the white crap of the glass... so when the wife asked me what i want for xmas i said a new tank,,joke,, and she said ok and we went and got one.. nice here it is.. since i wasnt trying to cycle it i just swaped everything over. here it is.

and about cycling with shrimp... can i do it in the fuge?? or should i do it in the tank?? here is what i think i should do. please tell me if im on track or should do somthing differant.

i have 2 filter pads iv been storing in my fluval canister that is running my 30 gallon tank, im gonna put those in my fuge,put 2 cups of sand from the 30 gal into the 50 gal, and put 2 dead shrimp into the tank,or fuge to cycle it.. what do ya think??

also after the cycle is done, i do a 90% water change? pretty much drain the tank and leave the sump alone??
Old 12-01-2010, 02:12 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

nice LR scaping....
90% PWC..??? i wont do that....it would drain out all together the need bacteria for saltwater.....
Old 12-01-2010, 09:02 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

i don't think you need to do a 90% water change. 30% or so should be fine.
i don't think you need to use the filter pads either. the shrimp will be fine, in either the DT or the refugium, as long as you have the return pump running of course.
i'm surprised you didn't buy a reef ready tank, since you went new. it would have saved you a lot of aggravation, not having to deal with the HOB overflow.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:21 AM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

I too like that rock scape, but I would keep rock far enuf away from the sides. It'll get REAL dirty/funky looking over there after some time and you'll wann be able to get a blade, magnet or other glass cleaner in there.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 04:11 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

yeah i seen the reef ready tanks,they were only $40 more.. but since i have already got the overflow and return stuff i just went with the flow.lol

ok ill just put the shrimp in the fuge and start cycling today.

one more thing... since i have a fluval canister running my 30 gal tank,can i take half or more of the live rock out and put it in the 50 gal?? maybe just leave some rubble in it, i was thinking for bacteria the 30 gal has a 3in sand bed,and the canister filter.. is that ok for 2 clowns 1 lm blenny cuc, 3 nems?? i ask cause there is some big rocks in it that i would want under the rock in the 50 gal.
Old 12-01-2010, 04:35 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigford84 View Post
hi im satrting a 50 gallon fowlr with a 30 gal sump. i am upgrading from my running 30 gallon fowlr. the 50 gal will have a 3in sand bed

2 i got mixed answers on putting rock in first,or putting sand in first..

When you say "rock" are you talking about "Live Rock"??
Old 12-01-2010, 05:26 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigford84 View Post
yeah i seen the reef ready tanks,they were only $40 more.. but since i have already got the overflow and return stuff i just went with the flow.lol

ok ill just put the shrimp in the fuge and start cycling today.

one more thing... since i have a fluval canister running my 30 gal tank,can i take half or more of the live rock out and put it in the 50 gal?? maybe just leave some rubble in it, i was thinking for bacteria the 30 gal has a 3in sand bed,and the canister filter.. is that ok for 2 clowns 1 lm blenny cuc, 3 nems?? i ask cause there is some big rocks in it that i would want under the rock in the 50 gal.
i thought you were putting the entire contents of the 30 into the larger tank?

Tags
tan, tank upgrade, upgrade

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com