I need help with my 6 month old tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hockeydude15

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ive had my LR(55 lbs) for over 6 months now and I dont think its curing. I have 4 damsels. A redsea Prizm skimmer, one powerhead, and penguin biowheel. My tank just hasnt developed at all. My fish seem perfectly happy and healthy but I feel like im doing a bad job with this tank(i have been slacking on the water changes, and top off, which is every other day!). Any suggestions, this is my first sw tank.

38 gal
78 f
ph 8.2

I do have some purple scattered about and some vertical growing fungus looking stuff.

Also Ive always had a lot of "dust" all over the rock, ive tried vaccuming, it doesnt do a whole lot.

Heres a picture:

6id92o.jpg

up close:
2iboi6x.jpg

It looks way better on camera for some reason, its more bland in person

Can you get us your results for ammonia, nitrItes, nitrAtes and salinity? I would top that bad boy of with some FW. I don't see any fish in there. What kind of damsels do you have?

Looks like diatoms. I think you know why you are having problems.
i have been slacking on the water changes
There is probably nothing better for a tank than a partial water change. Being your tank is still "new", this isn't a good time to be slack on tank maintenance. You don't want things to get out of control since bad things can happen fast in an immature tank.

As mentioned above, post your water parameters. What kind of water are you using when you do water changes? What water for top offs?

KH= 240
Nitrite= 0
Nitrate=80 i had a fish die from being attacked, i think that raised this
salinity=1.023

Fresh water(tap) for the top off, I leave it out over night and then treat it with tap conditioner.
I had just turned the lights on so everybody was hanging out in there hiding spots. I have two blue damsels and two black and white three striped damsels.
no ammonia reading

So you are just using regular tapwater?
If so, that more than likely is the problem along with the high nitrates.
Diatoms thrive on high silicate levels and depending on where you are in NJ, the water out of the tap may not be very good.
I suggest you either get a RO/DI unit for your water or start running GFO to try to bring down the silicates and phosphates. And lots of water changes. 20% every week with good RO water will do wonders.

How do you run GFO, and where can I get some. I only found one on ebay.

I think ccCapt hit the nail on the head. You've still got diatoms from the silica in the tap water.

So, is that a piece of airline tubing stuck in the substrate or the "vertical growing fungus looking stuff"?? If that's a critter than I'm really curious as to what that is!!

haha, no thats airline tubing from my skimmer(fell off during maintenance)

You definitely want to keep the tank topped off daily. As the others said getting an RO/DI unit is the best thing you will do for your tank. Check on ebay you can pick on up for about $100 shipped.

Doing regular PWCs will make all the difference in the world as long as you are using good source water.

Back
Top Bottom