Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-17-2008, 07:40 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks guys, here I am at 30 hours after the switch. All tank parameters are great and everyone but the flame angel is doing fine. the flame is hiding in a corner and breathing heavily in a panic like look. Not so sure if he is gonna make it, I am hoping he pulls out, as it is the latest addition and on the top of my daughters favorite fish list. His name is Flamey , lets all pray for Flamey

I feel so stupid for going the U/G route... live and learn, unfortunately possibly at the expense of a fish.

joey

24 gal Aquapod (wife's) reef, now cycled and currently emptying my wallet.
joeyfromlawrenceville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 07:12 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via Yahoo to intimatecple
hopefully he will make it and it sounds like you did good!!! good luck moving ahead!!! We all make our own choices and all learn....that is why we are here!!!

Old 11-18-2008, 10:17 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Update here at 2 days now, flame is out in the tank a bit more today and he finally ate a few pieces of frozen brine shrimp, so we are very happy . I will assume it will be ok to start removing the remaining crushed coral a bit at a time, luckily all of the LR is piled up on top of the sand side , so rearranging the tank wont be necessary until all CC is out and one final rock stacking for appearance.
I am planning on taking out about 25% of the remaining CC at a time, wait 4-5 days and take out some more, or is this seem too fast, as I'm not sure how fast the bio system can catch up.

patience here is certainly the plan for success, I am sure.
Joey
Old 11-18-2008, 10:56 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

Good job...
Personally I think you're moving too fast, the fish may be alive.. but they've just been put through a great deal of stress and are likely weak. Be patient, give it time before you begin moving out the CC. Remember even removing the CC will stir up a lot of muck which will stress the lil guys. The best way to remove the sand with the least stress of the fish I find is with an aqua-vaccuum. Put it deep enough in the sand and it'll suck up the CC too, without stirring up your sandbed too much.
Old 11-22-2008, 10:16 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yea, I've been watching closely monitoring the fish and behavior. All fish seems to be normal at this point. I figure it will take 3 weeks to remove the CC, I removed another third today. The CC was using a reverse flow UG filter, so there wasn't a whole lot of debris under there, and fortunely it has only been set up for about 4 months total. Thanks for the warnning, I need poeple to keep me at a snails pace.
I plan on putting the last of the LR in tomorrow, been curing for a month in a vat, been adding flake food for 2 weeks now with no amonia spikes. Figure it is cured at this point.

Sure will be nice when this headace is over.
Old 11-26-2008, 10:18 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

Conclusion..... all done. sand bottom is in we're at day 4 after remaining CC removed, amonia 0, nitrates 10, nitrites 0 ,ph 8.2, and clear as a bell. All that is runnin is power head, korilia, and HOT magnum w/ no media inside and bio-wheel rear filter. 45# LR, 1.5-2" sand bed. Looks like I made it through, no losses, just aged me a couple years. DO NOT USE CRUSH CORAL W UNDERGRAVEL FILTERS IN SALT WATER TANKS !, glad I got that out, I feel better. I'm ready to pour me up a black and tan and watch fish. thanks to all who shared advice.

PS: still have heated airated water at the ready for big PWC -just in case i jinxed myself

Tags
undergravel

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com