Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-10-2011, 01:06 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I need some help picking an upgraded bulb for Eclipse 12

Hello, after searching the internet I finally found the solution for the crappy little standard bulb in the Eclipse 12 system that didn't involve spending extra money or constructing a retrofit.

I found 2 bulbs that will fit the hood but need help deciphering between the two options. I'd just like to know how either one will look in my tank.

The standard bulb i'm currently using is just a plain white 5000K that casts a yellowing tone over the crushed coral and live rock - not attractive for my saltwater.

Here the are 2 options:
Coralife 10K Daylight Compact Fluorescent 6 inch - 13 Watt Aquarium Compact Fluorescent Bulbs

or

Coralife 50/50 Compact Fluorescent 6 inch - 13 Watt Aquarium Compact Fluorescent Bulbs

One is a Coralife 13 Watt - 6" PL Type Base 50/50 Compact Fluorescent Lamp - PL Type Base combine 50% 10,000K with 50% True Actinic 03 Blue phosphors for essential biological reactions.

and the other is a Coralife 13 Watt - 6" 10,000K Compact Fluorescent Lamp - PL Type Base 10,000K lamps provide high-intensity, purified super daylight that simulates the midday sun. It contains rare-earth color enhancing phosphors to emit sparkling, blue-white rays.

I don't know my lights very well so if someone could tell me how each light might look in my FOWLR tank, I would appreciate it! thanks!

Old 09-10-2011, 01:22 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I'd go with the 50/50 but thats just my opinion. I like a blueish hue to my tanks. The 10k is good too but will still have some yellowish to it.

Old 09-10-2011, 01:41 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Yeah I dont want any of the yellow. The tank is in a room with 3 planted freshwater tanks, and I want the blue light to help set it apart from the freshwaters.
Old 09-10-2011, 02:31 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I use a 50 50 bulb for my fowlr tank. I couldn't be happier with how it looks . I'd go for the 50 50
^ Quoted from Porc Chop^
Hondatek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bulb, eclipse, eclipse 12, ick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com