I need some opinions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ffmd212

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello everyone,
I need to get some advice on a few things going on with my saltwater FOWLR tank. First I will give you all some specifics, it is a 63 gal tank, light is standard fluorescent light with two 65 watt "daylight" and two 65 watt Actinic bulbs. Filtration is a pro clear wet/dry sump with bio balls and about five pounds of live rock fragments. The tank itself has about 15 pounds of rock. My water levels as of this past week were:
PH--8.0
S.G--1.022
Ammonia--.25ppm
Nitrate--10 ppm
Nitrite-- 0 ppm
phos-- 0 ppm
Temp 80
My stock right now is two yellow tail blue damsels and two domino damsels. Which are very health and happy.
My problem is the rapid growth of algae. I think I have all types!! I am posting some pics of tank to better show what I have going on. How can I rid myself of this issue, which I have fought for almost two years that I have had this tank up. The only fix I have found is turning off the lights for several days, till the algae is all gone. I run my lights about eight hours a day.

Attachments

• Tank.jpg
    Tank.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 115
  • Hair on back glass.jpg
    Hair on back glass.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 72
  • Rocks growth.jpg
    Rocks growth.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 73
  • Bro. algae on sand.jpg
    Bro. algae on sand.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 77
maybe some turbo snailswill help they ate right threw my hair algae..... just a note you really need a lot more LR for a tank that big

Yes follow the link MELOSU provided it should help a whole lot with you algae issue :)

This is a great plan when it comes to nuisance algea.
Thanks for the thread. I am doing some of this already. I do weekly water changes, I just ordered a clean up crew, should be here tuesday. I have been thinking about a refugium, but do to space not sure where I will be able to put it. Plus I have a new skimmer on the too, my other one developed a crack in the body and quite skimming. I will cut back the feedings of the fish. I have been feeding them daily so I hope that will help.

maybe some turbo snailswill help they ate right threw my hair algae..... just a note you really need a lot more LR for a tank that big
I have a clean up crew on oder should be here Tuesday. I do plan on putting more rock in the tank. I have about another 40 lbs to put in. I had it in at one point and it all died off. This was before I knew this was normal. So I am going to start putting small amounts back in.

It looks like you have a ton of Coraline algae...that is not a problem that is a blessing!

Most people would love to have all that Coraline growing! 8O

I agree, your Coraline algae looks great! I have always used Ultraviolet Sterilizers to help control algae blooms. I may still get algae, but I hardly ever had too much of a problem controlling it. They are now in a variety of sizes and costs. Once your clean up crew arrives, you might take a look at the UV Sterilizers. They also help (so I've heard) with some types of pathogens.

Remember the amount of LR needed is based on your stocking not your tank size unless you want it for aesthetics. Am algae based CUC along with the tips in the article will go along way towards helping.

Remember the amount of LR needed is based on your stocking not your tank size unless you want it for aesthetics. Am algae based CUC along with the tips in the article will go along way towards helping.
Can you tell me more about this? I have always thought by what I was told and read it was solely based on the tanks size.

Live rock harbors beneficial bacteria that helps with the natural filtration of the water and chemicals like the ammonia and etc. The mechanical filtration/skimmer does its thing to clean also by filtering the undissolved organics.

Depending on whether you're doing fish only or reef & fish, the recommended amount of LR is anywhere from 1lb to 2 lbs per gallon of water.

Have you tested your phosphate level? Also, the tank isn't anywhere near a window with any amounts of sunlight peeking thru, is it?

Live rock harbors beneficial bacteria that helps with the natural filtration of the water and chemicals like the ammonia and etc. The mechanical filtration/skimmer does its thing to clean also by filtering the undissolved organics.

Depending on whether you're doing fish only or reef & fish, the recommended amount of LR is anywhere from 1lb to 2 lbs per gallon of water.

Have you tested your phosphate level? Also, the tank isn't anywhere near a window with any amounts of sunlight peeking thru, is it?
Yes my Phos level is 0ppm. Yes it is near a window but not to where it gets any direct light. I eventually would like to have a reef tanks. But I am trying to advance slowly.

Back
Top Bottom