Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-17-2013, 06:06 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

me personally, I would turn your tank down to 78 and if you can get a good hydrometer, you want to me around 1.024 for fish and coral. when you get coral you are going to want to get a good light, im a fan of LED due to the low cost overall.

Old 03-18-2013, 04:21 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandabradford View Post
me personally, I would turn your tank down to 78 and if you can get a good hydrometer, you want to me around 1.024 for fish and coral. when you get coral you are going to want to get a good light, im a fan of LED due to the low cost overall.
Yes! Definitely been looking at new lights. Untill my money tree starts sprouting again, I will be just looking

I thought keeping the heat in the higher range would help bacteria?

And is it to late to add the shrimp? I didn't realize not adding it or straight amm wouldn't cycle it properly.

Thanks again

Old 03-18-2013, 04:22 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTodd View Post
Check out sites like liveaquaria.com. They have pictures, recommended tank sizes, compatibility charts, etc. they even have a Beginners section with suggestions on low maintenance fish. i strongly encourage people to keep those tank sizes in mind, as many will make the mistake of buying a fish that is beyond their tank size and will have stress-related problems later.

Clowns are strong and a good choice for that size. The 36 will limit you, but there are many really cool smaller fish that will work. Run ideas by on here and you will get good feedback.
Yes, I love that site. I'm familiar with them because I have the FW tank. And I also order my bird stuff from their bird site
Old 03-18-2013, 11:09 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hey Vudoo, don't be so worried. I've been doing SW for a month now and I'm learning a ton. I get just about all my info from this site, but the lfs is good people and I'll spend 2 hours in there talking and he's totally cool, very helpful. There's some lfs out there that just want your money so def be cautious. The most important thing you can do right now, aside from getting a descent amount of LR in the tank (1-2 lbs per gallon), is get a good SW test kit, and a reef test kit too, but only if you're gonna do corals. You'll need a hydrometer or refractometer for keeping an eye on your Salinity or Specific Gravity. Watching your water is the best way to know what's going on in your tank, aside from just looking at it. Go slow and don't forget you're learning, just like the rest of us, only difference is many on here know a ton more than you and I. I know it's intimidating and you probably feel overwhelmed. Once you get the cycle done, your gonna start to get the bug, be careful it's addictive!! Don't be afraid to ask questions and you can't over do it on the water testing, just follow the directions of the kit you get. There's many helpful users here. Anytime you have a question use the search tool and if you don't find the answer start a thread. I've always gotten a response within a few hours. Stick with it and have fun!

Building a reef is like going back in time and being 5 years old at Christmas!
Pisces3473 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:37 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

No worries! When I did my first SW (circa 1992) it was a brave new world back then, and one mistake cost a tank full of then (1992) high priced fish! Today it looks ALOT more simple than then, and if I was blessed with more funds, I'd jump right in again! I remember the 4 week fishless cycle where you "looked" for the bacteria layer in the substrate before even adding a fish. Then you cycled with Damsels only for another 3 weeks or so ( which kick started the Ammonia-Nitrate cycle) Hydrometer readings all the time, and an endless supply of test kits! And then you could add you first big fish when all parameters were good. Corals and live rock were just hitting the market, and costs reflected that. Today it does look simpler than the "old days" and you got the net at you fingertips for advice and help. But Always keep reading up on the subject. Study things before you buy them. I wish I coulda had help like AA back then! I could have researched alot of fish and ideas back then.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com