Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-18-2011, 05:23 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

I think it's aptasia...

So I'm pretty sure I have one little aptasia...

I read if you Poke it and it sucks into rock it is aptasia, well it definitely did.

Do I need to get aptasia X for this one little guy or is there another way to get rid of him?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20110418_162000.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	34672   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20110418_162027.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	34673  

Old 04-18-2011, 06:57 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Aptasia

Looks like an aptasia to me. I've been dealing with them for a few months now . I have always used the aptasia x. Works great. I've also heard if you have one, you probobly have some you can't see.
Some of the other idea's i've been given.
A syringe with lemon juice injected directly in the mouth of the aptasia. You don't want to do this a lot since it will affect the water quality in large doses. You can only go after a few at a time with this technique.
and one person said they used the syringe to suck the aptasia out. no chemicals.
I've only personally used the aptasia x, so I don't know how well the other options work.

Old 04-18-2011, 07:15 PM   #3

My tank was covered in them... Following the advice of my lfs i bought 4 peppermint shrimp and im happy to report that they are all gone.

Good luck! If you dont control them early it only gets more difficult. I wouldnt recommend putting anything in ur water that may affect water quality.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:25 PM   #4

Post peppermints

I also tried the peppermints. They didn't touch the aptasia. It seems some people have great luck with them and others not so much. It's definetally worth trying. Any natural cure is better than meds.

But, i've been using the aptasia x and I haven't had any issues with my water quality. I've had to use a lot more than you would have 2. I've been using the aptasia x almost biweekly to keep them under control. Of course the shrimp is not an option for me anymore due to a frogfish that would try to have them for dinner
Old 04-19-2011, 05:38 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

I read that if you take out that rock and burn the atasia with a flame it will go away...any thoughts?
Old 04-25-2011, 02:23 AM   #6

aptasia

I found this video on youtube.
YouTube - Easy Aiptasia (Glass Anemone) Removal... Death by Flame!
Looking at the comments, it didn't seem to be effective. But, i've never personally tried this. Mine always seem to be in a spot I can't remove That would be too easy if I could. Lol. Hope you are having some luck with your removal.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:17 PM   #7

Give a peppermint a shot if its small anything over like 1.5 inch diameter might require a few shrimp small ones shouldn't be a prob
Old 04-26-2011, 01:51 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

I removed all the valuable things in my tank and I made it snow in my tank. Basically I put all my levels to the extreme like .60 salinity, over 600 calcium...ect (when your calcium is at extreme levels it will literally snow in your tank). Of course, I turned off my skimmer and removed all the carbon filters. I left it like that for about 2 weeks. Than I replaced all the water and did it again. I drained all the water again let my tank go through a month cycle and tested my water. The problem with this approach is that it might kill your good bacteria. The problem with aiptasia is that they are very hardy and grow like weeds.

Before using this last option get your self some peppermint shrimp or an angel that is known to kill all corals and anemones. The meaner the angel is towards anemones the better.

Tags
aptasia

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com