Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-06-2010, 03:01 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

I'm not sure anything keeps snails from being eaten by hermits.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 03:05 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well, it did for my tank, and thats all I had... 3 stripped legged hermies and snails, plus like 75 Astrea starfish lol, and not one was eaten, and my hermits are huge, like prolly 2-3in diameter for the biggest. I feed 1 headless frozen jumbo shrimp a day, and they never completely finish it and its about 6-8hrs between the time I take it out and put another one in. and yeah, my snails were never bothered... lol I remember I had a snail, 1astrea starfish, and 1 hermit all eating together on a shrimp lol it was really neat.

Old 12-06-2010, 03:21 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The shrimp lasted 6-8 hours? Man, I had a hitchhiker crab take out a yellow tang sometime during the night. I went to bed around 11pm and it was there but at 7:00am there was nothing left but a few yellow spines.

Hermits are pretty aggressive. People don't figure that because they are so small. Given the chance they will eat each other.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:54 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingman8610 View Post
Lol yeah, but at least it will keep the snails from being eaten.

And as far as Nessarius go, I was told that they do eat the waste out of a sand bed. Not sure about fish poo, but hermit poo, yeah lol but then maybe I was told wrong, but that is what's been happening in my tank.

-Brett
maybe, maybe not.
i've owned nassarius, and they touched nothing but food that hit the bottom. the sand bed was as clean with them, as it was without them. they did come out during coral feeding time and rob all my lps of their food.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:01 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have the same problem but it's with my cleaner shrimp. When I feed my LPS they come right up and steal the food. The nassarius boil out of the sand whenever food enters the tank, or you move something like a rock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
maybe, maybe not.
i've owned nassarius, and they touched nothing but food that hit the bottom. the sand bed was as clean with them, as it was without them. they did come out during coral feeding time and rob all my lps of their food.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:57 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
...I feed 1 headless frozen jumbo shrimp a day, and they never completely finish it and its about 6-8hrs between the time I take it out and put another one in. and yeah, my snails were never bothered...
Glad to hear you've stopped leaving the shrimp in there for 3-4 days like you were talking about in that other thread. With the amount of food you were leaving about before, I can imagine your hermits didn't go after the snails. But I wouldn't consider that normal when it comes to folks that keep reef tanks where you can't leave stuff like that rotting away for that long.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:19 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybird View Post
The shrimp lasted 6-8 hours? Man, I had a hitchhiker crab take out a yellow tang sometime during the night. I went to bed around 11pm and it was there but at 7:00am there was nothing left but a few yellow spines.

Hermits are pretty aggressive. People don't figure that because they are so small. Given the chance they will eat each other.
No I mean 6-8 hrs from the time I take it out to the time I put another one in. The shrimp is in there about 16-18 hrs. And no, they never finish, but these shrimp are pretty big. I think they eat 2-3 times a day but not so much when they do, but they eat other stuff too like shells and they sift through the sand a lot. they are Scavengers by nature and they seem to like a variety. At least mine seem too lol. And these are no regular hermits, I cant seem to find anyone who can pinpoint what specie of hermit they are. you are welcome to try.

I have heard them called stripped legged hermit crabs, fish-killers... even their scientific names! Apparently these guys that I have, have more than one scientific name! lol

But yeah they eat a lot but never have finished one unless I left it there for 2-3 days...
Old 12-07-2010, 06:23 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
maybe, maybe not.
Haha oh im sry lol yeah my Nessarius only came out twice out of the month or so that I had him, and he would be out for no more than a few hours, then he went back underbed < lol, but I would see his antenna sticking up out of the sand bed like every other day. and he def. cleaned up my sandbed, in like a month it went from black nasty looking detritus all in it, to absolutely none. Not a spot that I could see.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:32 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_Nelson View Post
Glad to hear you've stopped leaving the shrimp in there for 3-4 days like you were talking about in that other thread. With the amount of food you were leaving about before, I can imagine your hermits didn't go after the snails. But I wouldn't consider that normal when it comes to folks that keep reef tanks where you can't leave stuff like that rotting away for that long.

Lol yeah I had to learn that lesson the hard way. But lucky for me I had nothing too precious or expensive that died, just a few snails and a ton of astrea starfish. I have an API Master Test kit now but it only tests for Calcium, KH, Phosphates, and Nitrates
Old 12-07-2010, 06:59 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Quote:
in like a month it went from black nasty looking detritus all in it, to absolutely none. Not a spot that I could see.
this may have not been from the snail at all. when tanks are young the sand bed always looks less than perfect, then as they stabilize, the bed starts to look better.
if you had black nasty detritus all over your sand bed, you probably would have had a tank crash. are you sure it wasn't just diatoms?

Tags
algae, algae growth, growth, spike, tap water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com