Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-26-2008, 07:07 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I want a Docile Tank But.......

I want a Docile tank but I really wnat a Triggerfish, like real bad. Is there any way possible to make that happen? Are there any Triggerfish that are somewhat Docile? I am new to Saltwater, I just converted my Freshwater to Saltwater FOWLR. It is in the cycle phase right now. Any sugestions on list of fish would be great. I have a 55g with 35 pounds of LR and about 40 pounds of live sand. Is that enough LR? Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Thanks again
Chad

Old 06-26-2008, 07:21 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

First of all your tank is too small for a Triggerfish. Well maybe a Undulate Triggerfish, but its still an agresive fish. You need another tank, one aggresive and one community/reef. If your goal is a docile tank then a Triggerfish is not in your future, but you already knew that.

For biological filtration you need 1Ĺ - 2 pounds of LR per gallon of tank capacity. You need to more than double the amount of rock you have unless you plan on running a wet/dry or cannister filter.

What other equipment do you have?
Sump?

What would you like to have in your tank in a year to two?

And.....

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 07:33 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks cmor, Well for equipment I have a RENA Smart Filter 55 a protien Skimer that im picking up from my LFS, its a used one that he has in one of his display tanks, its a month old, and I also have a power head. Would that equipment be ok? Well my goal for my tank is to have colorfull docile fish with some sort of personality. Being that Im a beginer I dont want difficult fish that are sensitive. Any Ideas on stocking fish?

Thanks again
Chad
Old 06-26-2008, 09:42 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Welcome to the site!
I like to point folks here:
Saltwater Fish: Marine Aquarium Fish for Saltwater Aquariums
That way you can look and see what you like then post about your selections. Otherwise you will get bombarded with the many possibilities.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 02:04 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

There really is no gaurantee the safty of other fish. I would get 1 or 2 hardy fish and have plenty of hiding spots for them and add the trigger last. But with such a small tank you will get bored with only one fish , with so much variaty of fish and coral out there. Ill leave a link and look toward the bottom right for compatibilty chart.GL..
Old 06-27-2008, 02:40 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks a lot for the advice. Heres a pic of my cycling tank. I'm thinking of adding more LR.... Any Suggestions?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	salttank.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	14008  
Old 06-27-2008, 02:46 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

The thing with the trigger is it eats your CUC. Good water movement , skimmer , loose rock placement for better flow and controlled feeding. I would feed more often less amounts. This will limit uneatin food and excess fish waste. Then keep up with water changes and always test. A mixed reef with fish like chalk bass and a wrasse and this site has fish that no LFS will. Have fun with it.

Buy Fish Online: Buy Tropical Fish, WYSIWYG corals, clams and inverts online at the Divers Den

Looking good though.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:06 AM   #8
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Some more LR is needed. Usually 1.5 to 2 lbs per gallon.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 12:20 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

The Rena is ok but not needed if you have enough LR and quality protein skimmer. You can then use the Rena for GAC, etc. when needed.
What make/model PS are you getting from the lfs? Can you post a pic of it.
What power head are you getting?

As for livestock, take Scott's advice and visit the liveaquari site. Look at the fish, check the tank size, temperment and other information and check their compatibility chart. Come up with a list of fish combinations you like and post those here for comment.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 01:06 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks everyone. I checked out LiveAquaria.com it was very helpfull. I some what have an idea of fish I would like to have, I will post a list later on today. As for the Protien Skimmer and Powerhead I will be picking that up this evening along with some more LR. I will post updated pics tonight.

Thanks again

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com