I want a starfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NicoleIsStoked

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 4ft long 50gal tank currently stocked with:
2 x ocellaris clownfish
1 x foxface Lo
1 x bicolour angelfish
4 x blue green chromis
2 x fire shrimp
1 x zebra hermit crab
3 x blue legged hermit crabs
2 x trochus snails
1 x tactus snail
1 x diamond goby

It's been up and running since the beginning of October and is FOWLR.

I want to get a starfish but have no experience with them. I think that I read somewhere that starfish will eat all your inverts, particularly shrimps but I when I google that I can't fin it anywhere. I'm going for either a red or blue one. I like the look of the blue better but live aquaria suggests that it's more difficult to take care of. I know it gets bigger but can anyone explain?
My lfs is useless so asking them is not an option. They told me not to bother even acclimating it. I know that's wrong. How long should I drip it for? And what should I look for when selecting a healthy specimen? What do they eat? Any info you could provide would be great. Thanks.

I tried one a red one and it didn't make it longer then a week. Make sure to acclimate for like two hours with a really slow drip. I did acclimate mine but ultimately it still failed. :( the first signs of trouble are when the tips of the legs go white. Once this starts its over they literally disintegrate into nothing. I won't be trying one again don't want another failure. I hope someone with better luck then me chimes in with some good advice.

Rule number one is that they can not be exposed to air. I have had several of the linknia stars and they will not get your inverts. They are a little difficult in that you can not expose to air and you must be dilligent in PWC`s. Here is a few pics of mine.

100_1046.JPG

100_1184.JPG

100_0757.JPG

100_1197.JPG

100_0622.JPG

Ya I had read up on acclimating them before I got one. Dripped it right in the bag I then put the bag in the tank under the water and slowly nuged it out. Definatly a very sensitive creature. Are the sand sifting ones as sensitive? I know I read that the linkas can be a little harder to keep.

Blue linkia is my first choice. What was your pwc schedule when you had it? Tbh I've been pretty lazy with maintenance since my tanks had been running. And I've had crazy good luck so far. I only do a 10-20% pwc every 3 weeks or so and top up fresh water maybe once a week. And I'm using all tap water. Everyone is thriving and growing and eating like pigs. The only losses I've had to date were 1 snail that fell and couldn't right himself and 2 chromis that shocked. One died with 10 minutes and one within less than 24hr.
More info on the linkia please.

I honestly don't have more info. I know that they are a beautiful starfish but as fAr as my experience not so good. If you do decide to get one best of luck. :)

Oh and I do 3- gallons every week.

Well I'm my experience with chocolate chip stars and general stars that I have had didn't require a acclimation and they were just dropped right in. That how we did ur at the wholesaler I worked for too. I haven't had any problems with it. I have even seen ones chilling at the too outta the water in my buddy's tank too. So it's kinda depends on the species and whether or not the species is fragile.

First never by a fish online, or a star fish, if its your first star fish I would advise you to get a beginner one. Be sure you calcium levels are perfect also if you have a reef tank make sure that the levels are good, then yes you will be ok, I think,...........

Starfish just eat anything left over I only had trouble with the chocolate chip star mine killed a nem( he was after a piece of seaweed that my clown had tore down and put on the nem) and my one that got to 8 inches he ate a hermit crab once somehow caught then trapped it against the glass wish I thought to take a pic as he slowly turned then pulled him out and ate him. But for a fish only tank they are nice ( just watch out they will eat other stars

I have a general star and it is doing great
It can be exposed to air no problem.
The only issue, if you call it one, is it has smothered and devoured seaweed I had on vaggie clip for my fox face and Kole tang
DJB

First never by a fish online, or a star fish, if its your first star fish I would advise you to get a beginner one. Be sure you calcium levels are perfect also if you have a reef tank make sure that the levels are good, then yes you will be ok, I think,...........
Why not? Online retailers get their livestock from the same place stores do.

In have 2 chocolate star fish in my fowlr tank. I acclimated them the same way as I do my fish. I do feed the 1x a week directly. Other than that they eat off of left overs and algae... I have never heard that they can't be exposed to air. My kids love holding them occasionally.

That's very true but when I'm buying from the store hopefully they've all been there a little while any by the time that I bring them home I'm picking from the strongest of the bunch as the rest have already kicked the bucket.

Yes they will eat inverts. I have watched my African red starfish eat three turbo snails and I have attached a pic of him killing my plate coral. It's not overwhelmingly common but it can happen. They go where they want to go. Mine will smother a turbo snail for a day or two until he sucks him out. The plate coral happened today. I think he did it through the night.

Attachments

• image-2150825394.jpg
    image-2150825394.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 147
On the other hand my sandsifting star never bothers anything but I never see him either.

Back
Top Bottom