i want a SW tank :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Newbneedshelp

Aquarium Advice Freak
well i jsut set up my first tank ever...well ive had it for about a month now, and well i was going to get another 30gal in december and make it a FW but i have this desire to make a SW aquarium!!! Would this tank size be ok? and where cna i get more info on SW tanks? TIA!!!!!

Welcome

You will find that most people will tell you that bigger is better and you will find some that will tell you that small is impossible. I have a 30 gallon and a 10 gallon. Both have been up and stable for almost a year now.

When discussing bigger is better - it is easier to get the chemicals and the in tank environment to be stable.

The real key seems to be - be picky! You will not be able to have as many fish as you would probably like, so choose carefully.

As for good books, I really liked Saltwater Aquariums for Dummies.

Best of luck .

JG

thanks alot and of course i will be picky about fish, my only problem is a 30 gal will be about all i can aford unless i wait a year or two. being 14 has its ups and downs lol.

consider all the other items you'll need to get for the aquarium, not just the tank. Consider the LiveRock, Sand, Test kits, hydrometer, salt, and a regular supply of RO water (if not an RO filter for yourself)

Do you just want fish or a full reef tank?

i kow everything i will need thats why i can only afford the 30 gal....if i was doign a FW i was going to get a 40 or more....my basement is huge. anyways the 30 is all i can afford with the other things included....but im not sure if at first i will do a full reef tank i may do fish is it possible to do a fowlr? lol i have no idea about SW and that is why i need your help.

Yeah you can start with a FOWLR and then upgrade the lighting later when you want to start adding coral.

ok thanks so much oh and sites? and prices to cuase i dont know what things normaly cost i mean for live rock and whats now? and an equipment list if you have the time. again thank you all!!

Sites? This one! :p If you mean for buying stuff then check out the forum sponsors.. you can get a discount at some places (like captivereefs) for being a member here. Try liverocks.com for LR.

ill be saving for a while....i will probly ahve about 300-500$$ to spend in december and then i will need to save more, LR is expensive 8O lol

Ya figure about a pound a gallon.
liverocks.com is the best rock around though. I think for 40lbs of primo rock, I payed about $250. Worth every penny. Got lots of "bonuses", Starfish, crabs, worms, pistol shrimp, etc.

sowhat would be the average cost to set up a 30gal? like 500? 1000? lol im such a pest but i need to know lol!!

I have to save up until december (how ironic) to save up for a 50 gal tank. I too am 14. I think its worth it.

"People say" a good setup will run $20-$30/gallon, and that's turning out to be right in my case! Every time I think I'm done, I decide I need something else. Current list: arm-length gloves; filter socks; good charcoal . . . some things have a fixed price, like reference books. I've got $150 into books alone and could use several more to feel like I have a basic reference collection. Of course, it can be done cheaper without all the frills but I still think $20/gallon is a good low estimate.

Before actually investing in anything living in your tank, I would strongly recommend that you buy & read 'The New Marine Aquarium' by Michael S. Paletta, it covers nearly all of the basic questions, cost concerns, and gives solid advice on what to consider before and after buying..

I'm about half way through it already and have a MUCH better grasp on what I can and cannot do with my system. Gives you a check list of things to buy and even aquascaping advice.. congrats about wanting to join the SW world :) I can't wait to hook mine up!

Back
Top Bottom