Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-09-2012, 02:41 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

Is it possible my tank is "too clean" for coralline algae to grow? I barely have any algae except in the sump. The algae in the tank is the haze that grows over the glass.

Calcium and dKH are high enough. 25% water changes weekly. 0 phosphates, 2 nitrates. And I have like a hundred snails.

I'm just stumped. And mad.. lol.

scottayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 03:12 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Regular

My tank has only been up 2 months with only 9 lbs of live rock and 50 lbs dry and my dry rock has coralline algae spreading all over it. My live rock had a few inches of purple when I got it. I have never added calcium and my level is on the lower end of 360.

Old 05-28-2012, 06:42 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Correct Dosage for Purpleup

I have been using purple up for a few weeks now. The bottle indicates to use daily, but the folks at my lps tell me to dose only once a week. I have a 90g FOWLR with 100lbs of live rock. What would be the correct dose?
Old 05-28-2012, 06:49 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

Directions on bottles are usually overkill with most things, they want you to use more product, all about money ya know. I would go with the once a week recommendation. The problem with using this stuff too much, is that among other things, it will shoot your calcium levels through the roof. Which is good for coralline development, but bad for most other aspects of your tank. It can make your systems Ca, Mg, Alk levels unbalanced, and it can be difficult to get them balanced again.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:19 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok, I know that this thread hasn't had any activity for over a month now but, I'll give it a try.

I am currently keeping a 55g FOWLR tank setup since February 24th, 2012. Since then I've have been growing some purple coraline algae on one side of the tank. I have a couple of rocks that are covered by it, and my substrate is also covered on one side of the tank. How do I clean it up so it doesn't get out of control? Here is a picture below:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120602_221638.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	98337

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:22 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchezkk
Ok, I know that this thread hasn't had any activity for over a month now but, I'll give it a try.

I am currently keeping a 55g FOWLR tank setup since February 24th, 2012. Since then I've have been growing some purple coraline algae on one side of the tank. I have a couple of rocks that are covered by it, and my substrate is also covered on one side of the tank. How do I clean it up so it doesn't get out of control? Here is a picture below:

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
that's not coraline, it's Cyanobacteria
Old 06-03-2012, 01:32 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice Freak

???...
Old 06-03-2012, 01:33 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by slitherbomb

that's not coraline, it's Cyanobacteria
How can anyone tell?
Old 06-03-2012, 01:38 AM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchezkk
How can anyone tell?
I thought Cynobacteria was green or green brownish? Not red. Also instead of laughing your ... off and hahahaha'ing why not offer something worth while to help the poster?

Sanchezkk try google. I looked it up and couldn't find anything that looked that color under Cyno. Wish I could be more help.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 01:40 AM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

After more research I found something that looks pretty much like your sand.

Name:   image-512402568.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  57.7 KB

Cyanobacteria Bloom

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
algea, coral, coralline

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com