I want Coralline algea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is it possible my tank is "too clean" for coralline algae to grow? I barely have any algae except in the sump. The algae in the tank is the haze that grows over the glass.

Calcium and dKH are high enough. 25% water changes weekly. 0 phosphates, 2 nitrates. And I have like a hundred snails.

I'm just stumped. And mad.. lol.

My tank has only been up 2 months with only 9 lbs of live rock and 50 lbs dry and my dry rock has coralline algae spreading all over it. My live rock had a few inches of purple when I got it. I have never added calcium and my level is on the lower end of 360.

Correct Dosage for Purpleup

I have been using purple up for a few weeks now. The bottle indicates to use daily, but the folks at my lps tell me to dose only once a week. I have a 90g FOWLR with 100lbs of live rock. What would be the correct dose?

Directions on bottles are usually overkill with most things, they want you to use more product, all about money ya know. I would go with the once a week recommendation. The problem with using this stuff too much, is that among other things, it will shoot your calcium levels through the roof. Which is good for coralline development, but bad for most other aspects of your tank. It can make your systems Ca, Mg, Alk levels unbalanced, and it can be difficult to get them balanced again.

Ok, I know that this thread hasn't had any activity for over a month now but, I'll give it a try.

I am currently keeping a 55g FOWLR tank setup since February 24th, 2012. Since then I've have been growing some purple coraline algae on one side of the tank. I have a couple of rocks that are covered by it, and my substrate is also covered on one side of the tank. How do I clean it up so it doesn't get out of control? Here is a picture below:

ForumRunner_20120602_221638.jpg

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

sanchezkk said:
Ok, I know that this thread hasn't had any activity for over a month now but, I'll give it a try.

I am currently keeping a 55g FOWLR tank setup since February 24th, 2012. Since then I've have been growing some purple coraline algae on one side of the tank. I have a couple of rocks that are covered by it, and my substrate is also covered on one side of the tank. How do I clean it up so it doesn't get out of control? Here is a picture below:

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

that's not coraline, it's Cyanobacteria

Last edited by a moderator:
sanchezkk said:
How can anyone tell?

I thought Cynobacteria was green or green brownish? Not red. Also instead of laughing your ... off and hahahaha'ing why not offer something worth while to help the poster?

Sanchezkk try google. I looked it up and couldn't find anything that looked that color under Cyno. Wish I could be more help.

Thanks for your help, Convict. I suppose it takes someone special to remember that they were once a beginner at some point. Not too many people are mature enough to admit that fact. I'll check it out.

Yeah, I agree that was pretty rude!!
Looks like you've got some nice coralline on your rocks, but the sandbed is definitely Cyano.
Cyano comes from too many nutrients in your water. Cut back on the amount of your feedings, and possibly take a couple hours off of your light cycle. On your water changes, siphon out the Cyano, it should come right off like a blanket. You may see it for a little while, just be vigilant, and keep sucking it out.
If you limit what's going into the system, it will dissipate.
Best of luck, Sanchek
PS. Don't just blow it around, it will land somewhere else and spread.

Can I suffocate it with substrate? I'm presently building a DSB since I heard it can help with nitrates control.

I wouldn't try to bury it, just suck it out with a siphon on an airline tube. Best way is to just remove it, whenever you see it.

I really don't think slitherbomb was laughing or mocking ,,thats been his sig for awhile ...

flreefer has you covered though

I have a fish only tank with dry rock that is developing green and purple (coralline?) algae. How does one treat algae in a fish only as opposed to FOWLR tank? Is algae a bad thing or does it have some beneficial qualities even without live rock?

Back
Top Bottom