I want to set up aSea Horse tank advise please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeruvalcaba

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello i have a nano reef 10 gll "Reef Ready" so i got a bigger tank and will tranfer all my corals to my new one onces its cycled! And the small tank my wife wants some sea horses any advose in how to keep them!! Anything will help!! Im defenetly doing some resource on my own but i really need any help possible'

The only horses you can keep in a ten gallon are dwarf seahorses. Unfortunately, these are probably the hardest to care for. But not impossible!
You're going to want less flow than in a reef tank because they are not strong swimmers. Nothing in it that stings like coral or anemones. Seahorse tanks are the only place I recommend fake plants. Lol
But some pretty macro algae is even better. They will need frequent feeding because they pretty much swallow straight into the intestine. No stomach for storing food. At least twice daily. I'd set up a brine shrimp hatchery so you can always have newly hatched (after a few days they lose their nutritional value) available. It would also be good to add a bottle or pouch of copepods every few weeks.
I wouldn't keep any other fish with them, but maybe some sexy shrimp (someone else weigh in on that please). To avoid accidentally adding colonial hydroids, I'd use only base rock and simply seed with some bottled bacteria. A good clean up crew is a must because they are messy eaters. I'd stick to snails though.
Any more specific questions? That's all that comes to mind right away.

Thanks i will defenetly keep it on mind!! I really want to get this project goinf for my wife!!

Good luck. :p Heard they are hard to care for. Please post pics!!

Happy wife, happy life! There are some good sites just about seahorse care. Before buying a new animal, I read everything I can find. I suggest doing the same for these guys.

Lol thanks guys! I will post up pics! And yeah a happy Wife its a happy life! Well said it!! She wants dwarfs sea horses so thats a good news that i xan keep them there!!

We are in the process of setting up for dwarf seahorse too..... We r using a Aqueon evolve 8..... I'm using sand water and rock from my big reef to start it off....ill be following to see how u do too!!!

Back
Top Bottom