I was looking to solve problems with nitrates with my high bioload

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 36 gallon bowfront, currently stocked with 8 small fish, 2 shrimps, 6 snails, and 5 hermits. running canister filter

I have just made the following order from reef cleaner

I was looking to solve problems with nitrates with my high bioload

Quantity
30 Dwarf Cerith
22 Nassarius Vibex
12 Florida Cerith
7 Blue Leg Hermit Crab*
13 Empty Hermit Shells
4 Nerite Snails (Large)
7 Nerite Snails (Small - Medium)
1 5 Red Mangroves
1 Ulva
1 1 Penny Macro Algae
1 Chaeto w/Pods
5 Medium/Larger Empty Hermit Shells
1 Codium (Short)
1 Red Gracilaria
4 Assorted Hermits*
1 Thin Striped Hermit*

I will be adding all of this to my tank at the same time, will it be safe????

are those plants safe together?

will anything harm the fish? or corals?

please help if you can[/QUOTE]

I would not put the macro or mangrove in the tank unless you have a separate area in your tank that is closed off from the rest, or a sump. I would also suggest a protein skimmer in the future if you plan on keeping corals :p

i do not think adding more eating, pooping critters is the answer to high nitrate. the macro algae will help, but i agree with rush that it should be in a separate tank, or it is going to take over in a short time.

also, 22 nassarius snails is way too many for a 36 gallon tank. i hope they are very tiny. you will need to add extra food just for them.

i will not be adding any of the macro algea into a sump,

I was going to put it all in my tank

would that make a problem?

first of all, it's not going to be pretty. have you seen what chaeto looks like? it's a ball of floating strands. it's not something that can be anchored or rooted. it's going to float around. the mangroves will need to be out of the water except for the roots, so, you'll have to fasten them to the side of the tank somehow and provide light to the top leafy area.

Too bad you can't cancel and revise that order. 75 snails is way too many. You've got to find out what's causing the nitrates. Too many fish? Too much food? Something.

I agree, next time do this step before you order. Your gonna have to set up a sump or another tank for some of that stuff.

I have cancelled my order, and will revise it.

I have high nitrates becuase I have 8 fish.

how many snails should I get, any of those plants will help control algea?

i would remove a few fish. those plants will absorb nutrients, but again, you probably won't be happy with the look.

Back
Top Bottom