Ibrahim's 150g FOWLR Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ibrahim said:
Wow... I'm so pissed right now. The phosban reactor's sponge that's supposed to keep the media in the reactor is some $h*t. It spilled all the media out. I don't even know what to do besides smash the stupid reactor

Don't smash it! Just try replacing it with something else. Would a different sponge work or filter floss?

Jlsardina said:
Don't smash it! Just try replacing it with something else. Would a different sponge work or filter floss?

I was just mad at the time so I just left it. It turned out I had the old model with a thin white sponge which isn't that good so I ordered the 2 black sponges the newer models come with. Now I've got a cloudy mess to take care of :(

Ibrahim said:
I was just mad at the time so I just left it. It turned out I had the old model with a thin white sponge which isn't that good so I ordered the 2 black sponges the newer models come with. Now I've got a cloudy mess to take care of :(

Sorry :(. But I'm glad you were able to save it.

Ibrahim said:
Thanks. I just wish I could have avoided this big mess.

What's fish keeping without the occasional mess and flood lol . Not very exciting IMO . Sorry Ibrahim I couldn't help myself.

Hondatek said:
What's fish keeping without the occasional mess and flood lol . Not very exciting IMO . Sorry Ibrahim I couldn't help myself.

lol that's true. This is the 2nd time something like this has happened to me. First time was when I had carbon in a bag and the bag had a hole; not fun. And too many floods to count lol Most were when making RODI

Lol- just flooded my utility room and kitchen yesterday making RO and fell asleep!

TLTGF said:
Lol- just flooded my utility room and kitchen yesterday making RO and fell asleep!

lol It sucks doesn't it! Anywho, I got my reactor up and running. I bought a thick blue and white sponge that's supposed to polish water and cut it the same size as the reactor. I cut 4 circles and used two at the top and two at the bottom to make sure there is no way any pellet will escape. I even cut the circles a little bigger than the reactor to ensure it would be a tight fit. I'll give a full review in a couple weeks.

Attachments

• image-1789621516.jpg
    image-1789621516.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 86
  • image-1219647149.jpg
    image-1219647149.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 84
Any reason you filled it up so high? The instructions on mine say 3-5 inches, unless it's carbon and then it can be filled all the way up.

Are the instructions bogus?

scottayy said:
Any reason you filled it up so high? The instructions on mine say 3-5 inches, unless it's carbon and then it can be filled all the way up.

Are the instructions bogus?

It was filled about 5-6" but since my pump is strong it made it tumble alot making it look like much more media.

Oh, cool. I have read that GFO will crumble if it tumbles too much. I think that's why they have that limitation in the instructions. Looks like the same reactor I have. Is it the two little fishies phosban reactor?

scottayy said:
Oh, cool. I have read that GFO will crumble if it tumbles too much. I think that's why they have that limitation in the instructions. Looks like the same reactor I have. Is it the two little fishies phosban reactor?

Yeah. I filled up the media up until "two li" which is about 6" if you understand what I mean lol. I'll throttle back the pump in that case. I just don't like the fact that it will decrease the life of the pump.

Actually, throttling will not hurt the pump. :-D

One of those tidbits of information I picked up from Mr X

;-)

carey said:
Actually, throttling will not hurt the pump. :-D

One of those tidbits of information I picked up from Mr X

;-)

K. I throttled just so it's tumbling a couple inches higher

Yep, choking the pump back at the exhaust port is perfectly fine for a pump. Just don't starve it for water at the intake port.

Got two new fishes today, 1 is a tang and the other is a butterfly fish so youll have to guess what kind they are until I post pics lol. Acclimating them now.

Ibrahim said:
Got two new fishes today, 1 is a tang and the other is a butterfly fish so youll have to guess what kind they are until I post pics lol. Acclimating them now.

I'm guessing a Naso Tang and Raccoon Butterfly. What do I win? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom