ice fishes 55 gallon journey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Upgrading sux Try to buy the best equipment you can right from the start. The upfront cost bites but it pays off in the long run.

i got this system from someone that was getting rid of his aquarium. thats why im looking to upgrade and when i pick out my new equipment it will be for the long hall not just a temp fix.

well my tang was not very nice to my wrasse. i ended up today taking him back to the LFS and trading him in for a attenata lionfish. couldnt be happier with him :) just sucks i had to get rid of the wrasse. but i didnt want him to die in my tank because of the tang. anyways i know these are crappy blue pics but this i what i have so far for my new addition

Attachments

• IMG_20140813_210226_528.jpg
    IMG_20140813_210226_528.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_20140813_210231_514.jpg
    IMG_20140813_210231_514.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 97
did another water change today. found out my skimmer while i was away yesterday decided to spring a leak and pour 5 gallons of water into my carpet. lets say im less then pleased. but on the plus side i needed a water change....so did a nice 15% today and the water looks CRYSTAL. :) and per ALOT of you guys out there, the tang is no longer with me and i am now looking for a new algae controller in my tank. suggestions? i have my atennata lionfish so it cant be a small guy.

Margarita snail (Margarites Pupillis). Eates algae and coral safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

i was hoping more of a fish idea, but ill be picking up more cleaners tomorrow when i head to the store. looking at a new skimmer as well. i think mine decided to go splat :/

I kept my yellow eye tang in a 55 just fine. The yellow eye tang is one of the few tangs that can go into a smaller tank than most. A 75 gallon is more Ideal for a yellow eye tang, but I have seen worse than a 55 for them. Heck some people put Yellow Tangs in their 29 gallon tanks. (Which is just a very bad Idea!) I should note that I moved both my yellow eye tang and my yellow tang to my 120 from my 55. I knew I was upgrading so I bought both before the upgrade. Tangs are just hard fish in general to keep because of ICH outbreaks for random reasons. My yellow eye got ICH and died in his 120 gallon home for no reason! My Yellow Tang is doing awesome thou. So go figure! Had them both in my 120 for 4 months with no issue and out of no where the yellow eye tang died.

Honestly with that Lion fish in your tank and plus what you already have, I would say your stocked. You need a skimmer as lion fish really make a huge mess in your tank. Get a good skimmer!

The Reef Octopus BH-1000 is what I have and I would recommend that for your tank.

I would honestly slow down a little and wait a few months (4 at the lest!) and see how the fish are doing that you already have. You should be ready for more after. Honestly the Lion should have been the last fish in, being anything you put into your tank now will be considered his food.

Lions tend to not eat pre-existing tank mates, but new tank mates are fair game to them.

Last edited:
Also sometimes fish just fight for a few days to establish their territory. It could take a week before it dies down. Just watch and make sure their is no really bad damage or a TON of aggression. Some chasing is normal.

i havnt had any issues with my lion or other fish with aggression other then my yellow eye kole tang. which i got rid of. he tried to kill my wrasse and lionfish. i ended up with a one spot foxface for now as ill be upgrading to a 75 in the somewhat near future. they are the smallest of them and ive heard and read that there monsters with eating algae. i do have a skimmer in there its the remora C pro. the only issue i have with it is that its shooting a TON of micro bubbles into the water. any suggestions on this? i also added in another 8 pounds of live rock and created another cave. the foxface seems happy but hides whenever i come in or am trying to see him. im sure he'll lighten up as he gets used to the tank.

Sometime it takes a few days to get the Skimmer to stop shooting micro bubbles into the tank.

yeah. ill give it a few more days to fix itself. this isnt a new skimmer though but i did clean it so i guess it has to redo itself?

Feed the fox a bit of nori 2-3x a week it helps The more places you have to hide the better the fish will feel. They like the idea of a cave next to them rather than 4 feet away lol
Sounds like the skimmer needs to break in again

thanks. i have 2 nice sized caves he likes to run inside and hide in when i come. and when he thinks im not looking pokes out and grazes on the algae. and alright. how long should i wait for the skimmer to break in before i start worrying about it shooting all those bubbles in the tank?

well it was feeding day today as my lion wouldnt go for frozen yet i bought some ghost shrimp. only got 6 and found out the darn maroon fed all of them to the nem....so i had to go back out and get 2 dozen more and i saw the lion take a couple of them so at least i know he's eaten at least some of them lol....darn that maroon and its nem...

Yea, get the lion in silversides as soon as you can! Freshwater anything is not that good for saltwater fish.

I would try soaking a silverside in garlic for a while and than dangling it (it's really like fishing) on some clear string that makes it look like a real fish. So long as it can easily come off the said string if he takes the bait! :p

its not quite big enough yet for silver sides. ive been trying to feed him krill with garlic. i have a clear spoon with one of those twists that you get with bread with the paper taken off and wrapped around the stick but he wont go for it at all :/ little bugger. any suggestions on a sand sifting goby? i was looking at getting a diamond tomorrow

I would WAIT for the Goby! Let your tank establish. You got a lot in their right now and adding anything else will just make your life more difficult. Trust me! Slow wins this race my friend!

A Goby will be looking for food in the sand, and being you have nothing in your sand yet, it would be a bad Idea to get one. Wait at least 2 months! :p Than get another fish! Let you system become more established! You can also get Tiger Pods and start growing a colony of them. Just release them at night when all of your fish are sleeping. :p

my sand is far from empty. there is alot going on in there thats why i want the goby. when i had moved it from the guy i purchased it from i think i sturred up ALOT of bad stuff that had been dormant inside the water. so all of that algae is coming out. i have a good bunch of diatoms in there which i know will go away on its own. its just depressing to look at :/ any suggestions on my feeding for the lion as i posted above?

Back
Top Bottom