Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-09-2011, 01:36 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The trigger seems like more of the problem than the shark lol. So do you have all fake decorations and such or are you using live rock? Not sure how the copper works with fake decor. You might be able to wash it in vinegar and reuse it, not sure. Any live rock will be useless if you want to keep the shark or any inverts in the future.

Old 12-09-2011, 02:06 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

No live rock for me just in case something like this happened. The tank itself is a little over a year so still fairly new, only had fish in it for 6 months give or take, but the trigger fish just won me over with his personality for some odd reason, I know I'm nuts to keep him. Oh and the last few comments had me so worried about the shark that I called up quick cure manufacturers to make sure the shark won't be affected from being in the tank for a few hours since I treated it around 4pm today, and they assured me it's safe for sharks, either way he's in a different tank now, poor guy. He is trouble though because of the level of care and little room for error he requires, which was all explained by me to the person who wanted him so bad, alas I was obligated to get him.

Old 12-09-2011, 02:31 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If its a copper based medication its not safe for sharks, you did the right thing getting him out of there. You MIGHT be ok with the fake decor and copper, can't imagine it'd absorb it. What do you have for filtration on the tank?
Old 12-09-2011, 03:59 AM   #14

I have a fluval FX5 canister right now, it is suited for up to 400 gal. Plus I have two 100 gal Tetra air pumps running 24/7 to help oxygenate the water and help them breathe a little easier.
Old 12-09-2011, 04:33 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidKat8807
I have a fluval FX5 canister right now, it is suited for up to 400 gal. Plus I have two 100 gal Tetra air pumps running 24/7 to help oxygenate the water and help them breathe a little easier.
If you want a "cleaner" look you could remove the air pumps and just point one of your powerheads up towards the surface. Same effect as the air pumps, looks more natural to me, and best of all no salt creep lol. Its your tank, just a suggestion.

I've never had to treat ich, but I believe I read somewhere when treating with copper you should remove any carbon filters? I could be wrong.

Also, just remembered members on this site saying the copper will kill your bacteria and cause another cycle. You might be in trouble here as hooking up a hob filter to seed the QT won't work. Just keep checking your water and do water changes when needed.
Old 12-09-2011, 11:39 AM   #16

I have plenty of bacteria ready for when I do the water change after the 3 day treatment course. I use Microbe-lift Thera-P(magical product really, ads bacteria, cycles the tank, AND stimulates the immune system & promotes growth, no idea why people look at me funny when I ask for it, nobody knows about it I guess) and special blend by the same company which is essentially a cycle in a bottle. And yes I had to remove the carbon, using just mechanical filtration for the time being.
On a sadder note, the copperband passed away last night :-( , I almost expected him as a casualty though, they're so sensitive and frail in general it's hard to imagine what this was doing to him, poor guy.
Old 12-09-2011, 12:27 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Sorry to hear about your copperband. IMO the bacteria in a bottle is just a sales pitch as I don't see how bacteria could survive in an airtight container with no ammonia to consume for months sitting on the shelf. At this point though you don't have many options.
Old 12-09-2011, 01:50 PM   #18

Their claim is that the bacteria cultures are grown inside the bottles, and it does smell like sewage when you open it so it can't be nothing. Besides it's done wonders for my tanks in the past.
Old 12-09-2011, 02:35 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidKat8807
Their claim is that the bacteria cultures are grown inside the bottles, and it does smell like sewage when you open it so it can't be nothing. Besides it's done wonders for my tanks in the past.
Ehh, to each his, or her, own. I hope it does work for you. It'd be a shame to lose anything else.
Old 12-09-2011, 05:06 PM   #20

Probably going to lose the angelfish by the looks of him too, **** shame I got him for a steal. I guess I'm going to have to restock. May be make my 1200 gal an aggressive only tank, keep the 300 gal with what survives.

Tags
ich, shark

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com