Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-03-2013, 06:56 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by begginersluck View Post
I didnt say they have an immunity to ick but that they can build an immunity meaning they grow stronger at fighting it off. The minute i remove the ick magnet from my old aquarium my other fish recovered within days.

here's some good links on ich/ick.

An Ounce of Prevention is Worth a Pound of Cure: A Quarantine Tank for Everything by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

Marine Ich/Cryptocaryon irritans - A Discussion of this Parasite and the Treatment Options Available, Part I by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

Marine Ich/Cryptocaryon irritans - A Discussion of this Parasite and the Treatment Options Available, Part II by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

The articles do suggest quarantining but you must do this before adding the fish. I believe the way tonedogz is referring to is to remove every fish in your display tank and quarantine all of them which is a lenghtly process due to the fact you may have to remove rocks and coral to catch certain fish. Not ideal. You must then treat with a ick/ich treatment. This is effective but not everyone has access to a large empty aquarium that is cycled and ready for treatment.
If you read the article you posted the author tells you to qt all infected fish, thats is the only way to kill off all the ich. Your entitled to your opinion but I don't think many would agree with you

Old 01-04-2013, 02:13 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

The idea of just QTing the infected fish works as a "treatment", but it is not a "cure". It still leaves the Ich present in the tank so that it can reappear down the road. I'd think that QT for both would be a better long term solution. It is not like the Ich will magically disappear while it still has potential hosts. The cost of a cheap glass tank and a filter will probably be less than the cost of losing an expensive fish and still leaving the possibility for losing more down the road due to not properly eliminating the initial problem. That's just my opinion though.

Old 01-04-2013, 04:13 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTodd View Post
The idea of just QTing the infected fish works as a "treatment", but it is not a "cure". It still leaves the Ich present in the tank so that it can reappear down the road. I'd think that QT for both would be a better long term solution. It is not like the Ich will magically disappear while it still has potential hosts. The cost of a cheap glass tank and a filter will probably be less than the cost of losing an expensive fish and still leaving the possibility for losing more down the road due to not properly eliminating the initial problem. That's just my opinion though.
Thats what I've been trying to tell them
Old 01-04-2013, 04:21 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

So what you need to do is get a 'cheap' filter and set that up. Cycle your new quarantine tank, if you have space and extra cash and then after 6 weeks you can put the sick fish in there! By which time your fish will be dead!

It's all well and good harping on about quarantine but the truth is probably 5-10 % of us are actually able to do so.

Fish: Moorish Idol, Powder Blue Tang, Hippo Tang, J Emperor Angel, 3 Chromis, 2 Black & White Clowns, Yellow Tang,
begginersluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:53 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

It does not need to be cycled, but you need something to keep water moving (I use a little power head that I keep in my DT that is for a nano tank (think it was $25).

For me...Take tank out of storage in the garage....add water, my little powerhead and a sponge that I keep in my filter (that will have BB)...add sick fish...treat with hypo or copper...wait a month to allow DT to be Ich-free.

A 20g tank is $20 with Petco's dollar a gallon deals. Even if you got a cheap filter (maybe $25-$35 for a tank that small) or do the sponge and powerhead idea, you are up to maybe $50. If I have a $40-$50 fish, or two, that need QT, I'm saving money in the long run.

Better yet, QT fish prior to adding and treat if they get anything while in QT. That should keep most of the nasty stuff out of your DT in the first place.

Then there's always the "Don't QT, eventually get something that kills your fish, don't CURE the original problem and buy more fish and then cross your fingers that it doesn't resurface" method. $50 is good insurance in my opinion.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:58 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'm glad this has come this far because when I posted on this site about my powder brown that had ich I hardly got any information on correct quarantining. I set up a small filter and put he fish in a QT then the filter cycled which killed it.

It just goes to show how much people can get confused with so many different 'opinions' against real experience and advice.

Thanks Todd

Fish: Moorish Idol, Powder Blue Tang, Hippo Tang, J Emperor Angel, 3 Chromis, 2 Black & White Clowns, Yellow Tang,
Old 01-04-2013, 05:09 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

There's a lot of threads on here (and on the Internet) about QT. Different people may have different methods, but I think that it is a good idea. If I'm going to have hundreds of dollars of fish in my tank, spending a few bucks to increase their odds of survival just makes sense to me.

I had a FOWLR tank many years ago with probably $450+ worth of fish in it. I bought my last fish, a spotted Hawk, and he must have had something. Three weeks later, I lost every fish within a few days. Never figured out what it was, as they had no outward signs of anything , but I've always believed it was that Hawk, due to the timing. Back then, I did not QT my fish. Just three them in straight from the LFS. Probably was lucky it did not happen sooner. I'm not making that mistake again.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:50 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by begginersluck View Post
So what you need to do is get a 'cheap' filter and set that up. Cycle your new quarantine tank, if you have space and extra cash and then after 6 weeks you can put the sick fish in there! By which time your fish will be dead!

It's all well and good harping on about quarantine but the truth is probably 5-10 % of us are actually able to do so.
I would say that thats a misstatement on your part cause I would say 75 to 80% of the people here have a qt anyone who has dealt with ich before or has kept an fish for any length of time would have one.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:02 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Doubtful intact everyone I know NEVER quarantine. But hey you know best!

Old 01-04-2013, 06:35 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'd love for people here to weigh in on this if they have a qt tank or not and if they feel the need for one

Tags
hippo, ick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« nightmare | The sea »