Ick on my blue hippo.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'll be glad to weigh in. I didn't qt at first. Then my tank caught ich. Never again will I skip qt. All my fish go right from the lfs into my hypo qt for 4 weeks .6 if they break out in ich. So far every fish I qt this way broke out in ich and have been cured. Now it is 100% impossible for my tank to ever get ich. The piece of mind that brings is priceless.

I added a butterfly, a huma, and a tang and about 3 weeks later they got ich. I had already had a puffer that had ich. I treated him in my fowlr dt. It appeared to go away, but like I said when I introduced the other 3 fish they got it and he ended up getting it again. I purchased a 20g qt tank. I put a large l/r from my tank in it and ran a 60g and a 20g hob filter with my floss from my dt filter pad. It was so hard to keep the perimeters adjusted. I ended up losing my butterfly and the tang. I took my puffer to my lfs for treatment and the trigger is still in qt. this is week 4. I treated using cupramine. I don't know how I feel about having a qt or if I'd just treat my dt tank using the hypo method. I pray that I don't have to experience this again. Please be easy in me. Lol

Once people start losing big money, I think they will learn. Unfortunately, its the hard way. I see QT as insurance. Having lived the nightmare, I just try to pass on my experiences so that maybe some people will listen and learn. I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I've been around fish tanks since I was in a crib. You learn a thing or two over 40+ years.

One of the problems I have had with QT's is that they're more difficult to keep stable. I don't have much spare time on my hands to maintain 2 aquariums and a QT has to be ultra stable do the fish don't get even more stressed.

It works for some and I think it's a great idea if you can do it on a larger scale but most people can only afford or have space for a smaller tank.

A friend of mine has £15000 invested in his setup and he told me he has never quarantined in all 8 years in the hobby

One of the problems I have had with QT's is that they're more difficult to keep stable. I don't have much spare time on my hands to maintain 2 aquariums and a QT has to be ultra stable do the fish don't get even more stressed.

It works for some and I think it's a great idea if you can do it on a larger scale but most people can only afford or have space for a smaller tank.

A friend of mine has £15000 invested in his setup and he told me he has never quarantined in all 8 years in the hobby
I don't understand why your persistant about this qt stuff anyone with half a brain would tell you to quarantine all fish before putting them into your main tank. There are a million articles about setting up a qt I'd like you to find me one that says not to.

I don't understand why your persistant about this qt stuff anyone with half a brain would tell you to quarantine all fish before putting them into your main tank. There are a million articles about setting up a qt I'd like you to find me one that says not to.

He's expressing his thoughts and experience if it works for him than good. He's not telling people they are wrong just stating his experience n thought just like you have there's not reason keep it going back and forth. Simple fact some people do not have time or money of a q tank. The op asked for advice not to bicker at other advice it will be up to the op to decided what way is going to fit in his life style.

OP I personally do not have a Q tank for my fw but do have a 15g q tank for my sw tank. I run a 30g filter with it and have kept it seeded with media the lfs gave me to start main sw tank. And will stay using the media from main tank for q tank. My Q tank is bare bottom but have like 6lbs lr so any fish in there can still have a place to hide/feel safe.

Thanks Jbaygurl.

Maybe I'm coming across the wrong way. Or maybe I have less than half a brain!

I think there's mixed emotions about QT'ing. Like I said I tried it and it failed on me. Mostly because there wasn't enough information on doing it successfully.

I'm not ruling out QT'ing and I so think its a good idea in the long run. When I move to a bigger place I hope to have a proper QT system set up not just a little one.

Back
Top Bottom