Ideas for new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cb24

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've got a new 55 gallon tank and was wondering if anyone had any ideas what I could do with it? Like what fish? Or anything..any idea will help!!!

Flame Hawk Fish
Six Line Wrasse
Blue Spotted Toby Puffer

There is a lot of fish you can put comfortably in a 55. I am assuming you want to do a Fish Only With Live Rock tank. So just get some sand and rock and put it together, cycle the tank and go to this website for idea's on what fish you want.
Saltwater Fish: Marine Aquarium Fish for Saltwater Aquariums
I would suggest you go with more swim space than rock build up. So not too much rock, but enough for good filtration. It's always good to go with 1 pound per gallon, so 55 pounds of rock that can form some caves so fish can hide when they need to. But you want open water swim space!

Ya, the 55 gallon tank is really awful dimensions! As stated, only 55 lbs of rock and the rest swim space would be good for say:
pair of clowns
some chromis
a dottyback
and everyone says don't do damsels cuz they are mean but should be ok if you add them last. I am new to saltwater tho, so I am just listing some fishies that I like

55 gallons is good for a lot of fish! It's a good size. It's not small and it can house a lot of fish for the rest of their lives. It's just a matter of what fish you choose. A Clowns are ok, but from my experience, they just swim in one spot all day and night and do nothing. There nothing special unless you have something they can host. Like a Frog Spawn or an anemone, and that cost extra because of the lighting needed, but worth it.

Every fish I listed will be fine in a 55 gallon tank, and they are cool looking fish! They each add personality to the tank! The Six Line even takes care of some unwanted pest. So they are good to have.

Just do your research and go from there! Good luck!

Damsels are just punk fish! You can do them if that's all you plan on having. A lot of people experience real aggression from them, but they are cheap and are good hardy fish. Easy to keep. Also from what I learned, I heard Chromis are the same way. They will kill each other off as well.

I like damsels. I always have a few in my reef. Trick is to have them outnumbered. They add color, variety and are cheap. Always wanted to do a tank with nothing but damsels. In smaller systems they can get way to bossy.

I used to get damsels and realized that the colored ones always seemed less aggressive than the black/white ones. I had a couple that had to be pulled, but most worked out okay.

Back
Top Bottom